Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Damn computers!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    Ok, I think I know what had happened. I've got the same issue on my Packet computer. 10.04, no video. At all. Nada. I had to back down to 9.04
    It's the stupid GMA500 Poulsbo chipset. I've now tried Debian, Arch, Linux Mint 9, Fedora, Ubuntu 9.10 (wouldn't install correctly, gonna try it again) and a plethora of patches to fix the video. All of them hose the machine. I'm about done with it. If another go at 9.10 fails, I'm going to sell the thing cheap and just install it on this machine that doesn't have that ugly GMA500 chipset in it.

Quote Originally Posted by N2KKM View Post
    It's the stupid GMA500 Poulsbo chipset. I've now tried Debian, Arch, Linux Mint 9, Fedora, Ubuntu 9.10 (wouldn't install correctly, gonna try it again) and a plethora of patches to fix the video. All of them hose the machine. I'm about done with it. If another go at 9.10 fails, I'm going to sell the thing cheap and just install it on this machine that doesn't have that ugly GMA500 chipset in it.
    How cheap?

Little Miss Field Day wants a laptop...
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

That's your best bet, Kelli. Look at this image, detailing Ubuntu support for that chipset ... and note video playback on versions after 9.10:

10232010.jpg

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...oCardsPoulsbo/
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

Banned
    Hello.

Ubuntu works fine on the Dell Vostro a90 (Mini9).
    Of course this is perhaps the most popular flash based netbook on the planet for hackers.
    It can also run any flavor of Windows down to Windows 1.0 and DOS 3.x
    Yes, there are hard coded IRQ and DMA. ;)
    Since it is so popular there are hundreds of people perfecting code for it.
    In fact the very first netbook distro released was for this very machine.
    So what I am saying is this.
    Find a users group for your machine and ask questions if they have not already been asked (FAQ).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ad4mg View Post
    That's your best bet, Kelli. Look at this image, detailing Ubuntu support for that chipset ... and note video playback on versions after 9.10:

10232010.jpg

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...oCardsPoulsbo/
    I saw that chart before, but then I saw someone else post that they got 10.1 working completely. 9.10 failed again, so for the heck of it I tried 10.1. Now, upgrading from 9.10 to 10.10 was what broke it completely the first time so I was skeptical. To my surprise, Wifi, sound and everything except video settings worked from the start. I had one dependency problem associated with upgrades but that was easily fixed. So I tried the Poulsbo driver installation and it worked! Full acceleration and video works fine. So once again, everything is working and the problem with choppy video and crashing Flash is fixed as well. Let's see... I started this project almost exactly 24 hours ago.

Banned
    I demand a lot from my machines. I write, I surf, I write software. I run Apache, PHP, MySQL, FTP server, proxy/cache and other services in the background and I usually have a lot of things running in the foreground at the same time. I usually spend quite a bit of time tweaking my system to get it performing the way I want it to. I'm really liking 10.1. It's performing quite well right out of the, um.... box.

Cool, thank you. I'm trying different distros to see what I like. A long time ago I used Fedora and it was good then.
    still is ... it's used to feed red hat enterprise linux (centos, scientific linux, ...). not nearly as polished as centos or ubuntu.

have you tried booting off a trial ubuntu distribution on a memory stick? this could help you figure out if the installation on your hd is just hosed, or whether it lies with ubuntu ...
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Why not simply use Windows on that particular machine if Linux is not supported on it ?
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    Why not simply use Windows on that particular machine if Linux is not supported on it ?
    Hello.

Why not run out and buy an ice pick for a frontal lobotomy?
    I hear that the effects are just about the same. ;)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobotomy

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    Friends don't let friends drive Windoze. Why dedicate 40% of your system resources to fighting viruses, malware, and trojans, oh, my!?

I fought video issues on my Acer laptop for weeks before I got it ironed out. Honestly, the 64 bit AMD architecture of that machine ran pretty crummy on the 32 bit version of XP Home supplied with it. It runs fantastic under Ubuntu 10.04, 64 bit!