Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flank steak

Banned

Flank steak

What's with flank steak? It's as expensive as T bone but guaranteed tough. Must taste pretty good. Most recipes call for marinade and slicing thin against the grain.

Quote Originally Posted by kc7jty View Post
    What's with flank steak? It's as expensive as T bone but guaranteed tough. Must taste pretty good. Most recipes call for marinade and slicing thin against the grain.
    It was actually closer to pauper food before it became popularized by television chefs and the beef industry took advantage of market demand. Look at what happened to tripe. It was considered along the same line as "chitterlins." (boiled hog intestine) But between the media and the beef industry, the price of tripe went up as demand from young yuppies grew.

I never could stomach tripe.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    It was actually closer to pauper food before it became popularized by television chefs and the beef industry took advantage of market demand.
    I ate a lot of flank steak when I was a kid and Charles has got it right. It used to be pretty much the only kind of beef that poor people could afford and you had to marinate the hell out of it before you could even chew the stuff. Freakin' yuppie scum and their stupid trends have made the price go through the roof so there's really no reason to buy it now that you can buy a decent rib eye for the same cost.

Same sort of thing happened with brisket, which used to be a cheap cut. It had to be cooked for a long time at a low heat so it was popular with poor folk for barbecue (real barbecue, not grilling). Then your aforementioned yuppie scum discovered barbecue.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 10-21-2010 at 12:16 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Banned
    was the flavor anything to write home about?

Undisclosed solar powered burrow in Southern Maryland
    Quote Originally Posted by kc7jty View Post
    cuz you white boi's made it fashionable and trendy...used to be dirt cheap because no one other than us Mexicanos would eat it.

on edit..

its tough because y'all dont know how to prepare it!
    Yeah...I'm a furry...Deal with it!

Quote Originally Posted by w3bny View Post
    cuz you white boi's made it fashionable and trendy...used to be dirt cheap because no one other than us Mexicanos would eat it.

on edit..

its tough because y'all dont know how to prepare it!
    I was going to make a similar comment with regard to fajitas.

I was going to make a similar comment with regard to fajitas.
    And tequila as well.

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    I never could stomach tripe.
    HAH!!! Seriously. That used to be cheap as dirt too! We had Menudo every...EVERY Saturday because cow tripe was so plentiful and inexpensive. Now... Phht. I have to take out a loan to buy enough to make for just me. Its like 10 bucks for maybe a pound and a half...if you can find it and its still inferior and not even good honeycomb tripe. I made menudo a few months ago and it cost me like 40 bucks to make it! Much less make a good batch of fajitas or smoke a brisket.
    Last edited by w3bny; 10-21-2010 at 12:16 PM.

I learned from the TV chefs that flank was used in fajitas but I wasn't sure until Bunneh interjected on the topic. I think most Mexican restaurants use sirloin strips these days since it is considered fast food. I know I've had them in the past and they have always been a sirloin type of beef.

I learned from the TV chefs that flank was used in fajitas but I wasn't sure until Bunneh interjected on the topic. I think most Mexican restaurants use sirloin strips these days since it is considered fast food. I know I've had them in the past and they have always been a sirloin type of beef.
    That is true. Very few places make it with flank steak. Why? $$$$ thats why. And even I just use a round steak or other cheepie meat, marinated, grilled, and sliced for Saturday night Meet Tacos and cheep margarita night anyway. I could make it with flank and afford just a dinner or make it with other meats and have enough for lunch and snacks the next couple of days.

Yeah...I like tacos...but most of all the salsita/chile that I make for it. Meeeyah!
    Last edited by w3bny; 10-21-2010 at 12:24 PM.