Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WSPR -- Anybody interested?

WSPR -- Anybody interested?

Did any of you see the article on WSPR in the November issue of QST?

Now before any of you succumb to vapors over seeing a reference to the ARRL, let me point out that the WSPR program is not a League function, but one being carried out by a group from Princeton.

WSPR = Weak Signal Propagation Reporting, which seems just the sort of thing we need given the probable state of the Sun for some time to come.

I plan to re-read the article more carefully and look into downloading the software. Given that we cannot operate the type of transmission called for unattended, taking part in the program may require more of a time commitment than I can now afford to make.

So, philanthropists that I know lurk here on these fora, what say ye? Anybody out there interested in doing something for the betterment of our Service (that always wows 'em when some ham talks of "The Service" -- as though we really are!)?
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

Yes, I've even played with the software a bit. Pay careful attention to the instructions because it's really easy to make transmissions in places where you shouldn't. Ask me how I know this.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

I fear asking.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

Orca Whisperer
    I didn't see the QST article, but I've been looking into it. One reason I'm hunting for my next piece of gear (SDR radio).
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Yes, I've even played with the software a bit. Pay careful attention to the instructions because it's really easy to make transmissions in places where you shouldn't. Ask me how I know this.
    I suffered that too. Especially when trying to choose the even or odd transmission interval. Seemed somewhat counter intuitive to me, depending on which minutes the other op was transmitting.
    You should also make sure your computers clock is dead on every time you fire the program up for an new session. If it's off at all, it can be a great source of frustration.

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

Got the issue - have yet to read that particular article. Will do so this weekend.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Island Regular
    Hope you don't mind me resurrecting an old message threat but...

Got to talking online with some other hams on another forum... no not that one :-) and got interested in WSPR last night.

Downloaded it to my desktop running Windows XP and couldn't get it to run. Kept getting run time errors and the program would close. Loaded it onto my laptop running Windows 7 this afternoon and it's running fine. Here's a couple of screen shots. The first one shows the list of stations that I received...

WSPR2.jpg

This second shot is the map showing the stations that heard me...

WSPRnet Map of KJ4FEL.jpg

It seems like this is going to be something fun to play around with.

Thanks for letting me share :)
    Last edited by KJ4FEL; 01-06-2012 at 04:39 PM.

Give JT-65 a try.

Software: http://sourceforge.net/projects/jt65-hf/
    PSK Reporter that will show you who's hearing your signal: http://pskreporter.info/pskmap.html
    Andy, K3UK's Bozo's Guide to get you up and running: http://www.zs2ez.co.za/WSJT/jt65a%20bozo%27s%20gude.pdf

I'll be up to my neck in RTTY this weekend, but will be going back to JT-65 after Sunday when I'm not trying to work the K3Y stations.
    I am surprised at such a sudden deterioration in a woman whose only ailment was a lazy anus.

Oh yes, timing is important to these modes, you need to make sure your system clock is synced. Simple enough to do with WWV, but this is the popular software amongst the JT65 crowd for syncing your computers clock: http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/
    I am surprised at such a sudden deterioration in a woman whose only ailment was a lazy anus.

I recently got a Signalink USB interface for the '940 - might have to revisit this subject and load the software onto one of the shack's rig-control computers.

Hopefully it'll function in XP/SP3, as a wholescale Windows 7 upgrade is a ways off.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."