Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JOTA this weekend

JOTA this weekend

the boy scouts jamboree on the air is this weekend.

a yankee living in the hind end of the bible belt
    some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Oh cool! Is that the once every 4 years Jamboree? Never been to one but never missed the regional yearly Camporee when I was a kid in scouts. I happened on the shack, a tent, where an OF had a couple of old BA's and his HT, a brick.
    I had already been an avid BCBDXer at the time and I thought he was BS'ing me with talk of double and triple superhetrodyne until he was able to associate the correct cities with the station call letters I was throwing at him. Then we started talking propagation.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2crk View Post
    the boy scouts jamboree on the air is this weekend.

"People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Wow, someone else besides me who doesn't hold the BSA in high esteem. That's a relief. Sometimes it seems that everybody ranks that organization right below the Second Coming in holiness but my personal experience with the the Boy Scouts leads me to believe that they actually came from the other direction.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Get hold of yourself, Carlo, before one of those scoutmasters does.

Oh, wait. You're too old. Sorry, OM.

(Back to the raddio, the Balkans have been hot.)
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

Quote Originally Posted by W3MIV View Post
    Get hold of yourself, Carlo, before one of those scoutmasters does.

Oh, wait. You're too old. Sorry, OM.
    Too old and too ugly. Never thought there would be an advantage to that.

(Back to the raddio, the Balkans have been hot.)
    What bands are you working? I've been monitoring 20m but it's been very quiet here on the Left Coast.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Wow, someone else besides me who doesn't hold the BSA in high esteem. That's a relief. Sometimes it seems that everybody ranks that organization right below the Second Coming in holiness but my personal experience with the the Boy Scouts leads me to believe that they actually came from the other direction.
    I have a hard time deciding if the BSA is the indoctrination wing of the Church, or the Republicans. Maybe both?
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    I have a hard time deciding if the BSA is the indoctrination wing of the Church, or the Republicans. Maybe both?
    Yes, both as far as I can tell. Therein lies the root of my problem with them, which started early on. I left after less than a year because I just couldn't take the heat anymore. A friend with far more gumption than I stuck it out all the way until he made Eagle Scout, then told our crypto-fascist Scoutmaster, literally, "Fuck off, Lyle." I really admired him for that. But I've been suspicious of the BSA and their motives ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    What bands are you working? I've been monitoring 20m but it's been very quiet here on the Left Coast.
    I have been working both 17m and 20m. I am about to try the BS gimmick that sends your call out ahead of the trace. It you scout out 20m let me know if you see me.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

I just checked PSK Reporter and the gray line is mid-ocean and nearing the East Coast. I have worked as far west as TX -- though I saw Virgil in Williston ND working strongly in my waterfall, so the West will be opening soon.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!