Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cuba on 20 meters PSK

Orca Whisperer

Cuba on 20 meters PSK

Cuba is booming in right now on 20 meters :) Logged two Cuba stations in about 10 minutes :)
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    Cuba is booming in right now on 20 meters :) Logged two Cuba stations in about 10 minutes :)
    Yeah, I see those guys all the time out here on the Left Coast. I think there's a couple of Big Gun club stations there because they really put out some signal.

Right now I'm trying to land a Venezuelan station on 20m PSK31.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Yeah, I see those guys all the time out here on the Left Coast. I think there's a couple of Big Gun club stations there because they really put out some signal.

Right now I'm trying to land a Venezuelan station on 20m PSK31.
    YV1PX? I see him on there, and I'm trying to do the "watch and pounce" thing. He seems to not be hearing me.

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    YV1PX? I see him on there, and I'm trying to do the "watch and pounce" thing. He seems to not be hearing me.
    Yeah, that's the guy. He seems to have disappeared from my waterfall at the moment but he's been up and down for the last couple of hours.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Never got YV1PX but I did land UA0ZK from Asiatic Russia. Only the second one of those I've got.

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Never got YV1PX but I did land UA0ZK from Asiatic Russia. Only the second one of those I've got.
    Yeah, PX vanished from mine as well. I couldn't quite make out the whole call for UA0ZK, so never tried :( Maybe next time.

20m seems to be opening up to South America and the Caribbean right now. I've seen Martinique, Dominican Republic, Uruguay, Brazil and Argentina all in the last few minutes.

Seventeen and twenty and thirty were hot for much of today, so I am not surprised it would continue. Lots of QSB and overlapping traces, though. I have already shut down for the day; but I'll be back on tomorrow, though, and I will post where I squat.

Lots of Eastern Europe, including two oddities for me: Bulgaria and Uzbekistan. I had worked a couple of Bulgars before, but this was my first Uzbek -- and it turned out he was a Russki name of Alex.

Most of my day was occupied by reinstalling software and re-establishing a routine. PITA when you've been out of the loop as long as I have -- a review of my logs revealed that my last upload to LoTW was early in 2007. How time flies.

Now have the full DX Labs suite installed, MixW 2.2x and its related gateway up and running. Also paid Fred the QRZ AH thirty bucks for his on-line data lookups -- worth every penny of it -- and I think I'm good to go. DXKeeper was always an excellent logger, but it has been improved incredibly. For contests, I prefer N3FJP, whose programs work fast and well. His state QSO software is a significant help in managing fast paced QSOs without blowing it with errors or dupes. For general logging and mangement, though, I prefer the full DXLabs suite which handles spotting, propagation, multiple lookup sources, a comprehensive mapping view with gray line, and full rig control. Something, of course, will go on the fritz; it always does. :(

BTW, around here, Cubans are ALWAYS hot on PSK on twenty especially, and often very, very sloppy. There's one guy in Habana -- I can't now remember his call, but I worked him time and again before I lost my wire -- who runs an FT-101, and I'm sure he runs it wide open, balls-to-the-wire on PSK31, which would not be too bad if he could only learn to manage his ALC. As it is, he can be six or seven hundred Hz wide with more sidebars than than a divorce court.

ciao
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by W3MIV View Post
    ...clip...

he can be six or seven hundred Hz wide with more sidebars than than a divorce court.
    Now that was hilarious :)

Undisclosed solar powered burrow in Southern Maryland
    Hate to pee on your parade...Cuba is always booming on 20m. Takes forever to get a qsl. But you cant swing a dead cat on 14.070 and not see a CO station.
    Yeah...I'm a furry...Deal with it!