Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: deVries 205 year solar cycle upon us

deVries 205 year solar cycle upon us

In addition to the 11 year sunspot cycle, there are two other short cycles that are picked up by scientific analysis. It is suggested that low solar cycle 24 is the result of being at the low end of the de Vries cycle. The last minimum of this magnitude was the Dalton minimum, and that was 205 years ago.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/02/0...cle-24-update/

You can see that cycles 22 and 23 is similar to cycles 3 and 4 - just before the Dalton Minimum.

The next previous incident of the 205 de Vries cycle was at the beginning of the Maunder Minimum. The Maunder minimum must have coincided with both the de Vries cycle minimum and another longer wave cycle. What is happening now only occurs every 205 years.

In the 14C record, which extends back for 11500 years, the principal periodicity determined by frequency analysis is that of the 205-year de Vries cycle, though the 2300-year Hallstatt cycle is also present (Beer 2000). The de Vries cycle is also prominent in the 10Be record, which Clilverd et al. do not exploit. Over the last decade, 10Be abundances have been measured in ice cores from Greenland, yielding a proxy record that so far extends back for 50000 years (see figure 1b). Statistical analysis of this rich data set (Wagner et al. 2001) reveals a significant peak in the power spectrum at a 205-year period that is definitely solar in origin (see figure 2).
    http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/p.../aag_45206.htm

Very interesting, but false. The real reason Cycle 24 is doing so poorly is that, after 40+ years of saying I was going to do it, I finally got my ticket last year. So, of course it will be another 200 years before propagation picks up again.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

NASA's Dr. Hathaway says a Dalton-like minimum is possible

Most solar physicists do not think anything that odd is going on with the Sun. With the recent burst of sunspots, “I don’t see we’re going into that,” Dr. Hathaway said last week.

Still, something like the Dalton Minimum — two solar cycles in the early 1800s that peaked at about an average of 50 sunspots — lies in the realm of the possible, Dr. Hathaway said. (The minimums are named after scientists who helped identify them: Edward W. Maunder and John Dalton.)

David Hathaway, a solar physicist at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala

Is the Sun Missing Its Spots?
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/21/sc...spot.html?_r=2

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Very interesting, but false. The real reason Cycle 24 is doing so poorly is that, after 40+ years of saying I was going to do it, I finally got my ticket last year. So, of course it will be another 200 years before propagation picks up again.
    Why do you say it's false? What proof do you have to counter this?
    never mind...

Quote Originally Posted by N1LAF View Post
    Why do you say it's false? What proof do you have to counter this?
    Read my post again--it's a joke!
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Long-term prediction of solar activity – a discussion

More...

Article first published online: 8 APR 2004
    DOI: 10.1046/j.1468-4004.2003.45206_1.x
    Astronomy & Geophysics

Volume 45, Issue 2, page 2.06, April 2004

In the 14C record, which extends back for 11500 years, the principal periodicity determined by frequency analysis is that of the 205-year de Vries cycle, though the 2300-year Hallstatt cycle is also present (Beer 2000). The de Vries cycle is also prominent in the 10Be record, which Clilverd et al. do not exploit. Over the last decade, 10Be abundances have been measured in ice cores from Greenland, yielding a proxy record that so far extends back for 50000 years (see figure 1b). Statistical analysis of this rich data set (Wagner et al. 2001) reveals a significant peak in the power spectrum at a 205-year period that is definitely solar in origin (see figure 2).

http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/p.../aag_45206.htm

Read my post again--it's a joke!
    Ah.. got it...
    The sun is out to punish you...
    So what did you do??

Quote Originally Posted by N1LAF View Post
    Ah.. got it...
    The sun is out to punish you...
    So what did you do??
    I'm not sure but I think the universe hates me. Luna is mooning me constantly.

Thanks for nothing, what did WE do to suffer this?

I'm not sure but I think the universe hates me. Luna is mooning me constantly.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

that explains it all. all this work on antennas and for naught because you pissed the sun off....

a yankee living in the hind end of the bible belt
    some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.