Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Uh Oh

Uh Oh

Phone rings last night; my sister-in-law talking to my wife about the upcoming 18th family birthday party for my nephew. Then she hands me the phone.

I'll condense the next 20 minutes:

She got hit with a drive-by malware infection. Masquerading as an alert from "Microsoft Internet Security." Won't let her access the Internet, insists that she's infected, wants to scan her machine (her husband did that, worm now insists on downloading an "anti virus" program).

I have been volunteered to inspect the machine. I got the evil eye from the boss when I suggested the machine be taken somewhere else... since it would cost $$ (of course, I'm expected to clean it. For free. Of course. Not the first time I've had to fix a computer while the family parties, but that's a whole 'nother story...)

I haven't laid eyes on the little bastard yet. I think this is a variant on the "AntiVirus 2009" scam. Sound familiar to anyone? And will Malwarebytes AntiMalware nuke it, or should I be looking at other cleaners?
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I recommend removing the HD and soaking it in diesel fuel for about three days. That will probably take care of the infection but, if not, try applying acetone at about 465° C.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

I feel your pain, brother Ron.

Had a BIL do the same with me this summer and I complied. His system really was pretty clean -- probably clicked on an errant link somewhere. Malwarebytes cured it and he fixed my lawn mower in return. He was SURE it was caused by using the computer during a lightening storm (because, well, that's when the problem started).

Boot in safe mode, and run Malwarebytes from there.

Orca Whisperer
    Backup "My Documents", and reinstall Windows... Only sure-fire way to clean the thing out, and spend less than 10 hours on it.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    I recommend removing the HD and soaking it in diesel fuel for about three days. That will probably take care of the infection but, if not, try applying acetone at about 465° C.
    Ooooooo... I like that idea.

Well, remember I gave you the condensed soup version. I have been assured that she has "all" of her data backed up to CD, save a few recent photos. She is supposed to take care of that the next few days.

My "druthers" are to find out the type of hard drive (IDE or SATA), go to Best Buy, purchase (on HER credit card) a brand new drive with equal or greater capacity, install drive, reinstall OS etc. from OEM disks, and then she can reinstall her data. Less time, less pain, secure-er system. Of course, that's not going to happen, but I can dream.

If I don't get anywhere fast, that is what I'm going to recommend.

And I'm NOT fixing it up next weekend. Pa QSO comes first!
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Witch Doctor
    format is your friend
    do a full format then reinstall the os
    dont even bother to try and save anything on the drive
    Sarcasm is a Body's Natural Defense Against Stupid

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    Phone rings last night; my sister-in-law talking to my wife about the upcoming 18th family birthday party for my nephew. Then she hands me the phone.

I'll condense the next 20 minutes:

She got hit with a drive-by malware infection. Masquerading as an alert from "Microsoft Internet Security." Won't let her access the Internet, insists that she's infected, wants to scan her machine (her husband did that, worm now insists on downloading an "anti virus" program).

I have been volunteered to inspect the machine. I got the evil eye from the boss when I suggested the machine be taken somewhere else... since it would cost $$ (of course, I'm expected to clean it. For free. Of course. Not the first time I've had to fix a computer while the family parties, but that's a whole 'nother story...)

I haven't laid eyes on the little bastard yet. I think this is a variant on the "AntiVirus 2009" scam. Sound familiar to anyone? And will Malwarebytes AntiMalware nuke it, or should I be looking at other cleaners?
    A friend of mine went through this, even bought the antivirus software. She was pretty upset, couldn't use internet, facebook, etc. We got the terms from the offending website, she wrote the letter for refund, and had the credit card dump the charge and stop all activities until it was straightened out.

Bottom line - it was fix-able.

AVG antivirus and Antimalware will fix it.
    After you clense the system, install firefox, and make it the default browser.

Problem never came back. IE was most likely the weak point here, and Firefox anti popup prevented any further outbreaks.

Edit: I was on copy for the letter to that company associated with the phony anti-virus. It was to support(a)mailingsimple.com, dated July 12, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by kf0rt View Post
    Boot in safe mode with networking, and run Malwarebytes from there.
    Fixed... and agreed.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    Backup "My Documents", and reinstall Windows... Only sure-fire way to clean the thing out, and spend less than 10 hours on it.
    BS

Light-weight...... :roll:
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by VE7MGF View Post
    format is your friend
    do a full format then reinstall the os
    dont even bother to try and save anything on the drive
    WRONG!

WTF is it with you people?

Some of you surrender so easily. Are you French? It's a simple bit of malware. :bfd:

I've cleaned machines that were in far worse shape. One had no less than 185 "infections" and was completely cleaned with no data loss.

Get a grip.... :roll:

Latest ClubLog entries.