Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New AES catalogue (or, "catalog" to you whippersnappers) today...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Over the years, I have found GigaParts very good overall. Workable website. Good service and very fast ship. Bought my 756P3 from them (free PS), as well as the AL80B.

There used to be a really good, fun ham shop in Newcastle, DE, some twenty-five or so years back (but then, there were LOTS of fun ham shops twenty-five or more years back, even in Maryland). I drove up to the HRO in Newcastle a couple of times, but the travel was not worth the trouble. Disappointing store; disappointing stock. Prices are generally close to the same everywhere.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

Quote Originally Posted by W3MIV View Post
    Over the years, I have found GigaParts very good overall. Workable website. Good service and very fast ship...
    Just goes to show ya' how different people perceive "good service".
    I bought a coax switch from GigaParts. I wasn't happy at all with
    the quality of the item. I wrote to them and asked how to return it.
    They replied that I could send the item to them and then they would
    inspect it to see if they thought there were quality issues.

I wasn't interested in THEIR opinion of the quality, I simply didn't like it.
    Any company with good customer service will accept an unused item
    for any reason at all; poor opinion of the part, buyer remorse, wrong
    shade of blue, whatever.

They were a little too proud of their merchandise. I contacted the
    manufacturer who issued me an immediate payment for the item,
    and a sincere apology. No return necessary.

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke
    www.n0eq.com

Quote Originally Posted by n0eq View Post
    I wasn't interested in THEIR opinion of the quality, I simply didn't like it.
    Any company with good customer service will accept an unused item
    for any reason at all; poor opinion of the part, buyer remorse, wrong
    shade of blue, whatever.
    good luck with that. ham radio retailers != nordstrom's. this drives up the cost of stuff for everyone and puts the merchant at (modest, imho) risk since they then have to return the item to the manufacturer and hope to get credit for it. when folks are as price conscious as they are this becomes a practice that's hard to justify.
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Quote Originally Posted by n6hcm View Post

[return something because you simply don't like it]

...good luck with that. ham radio retailers != nordstrom's. this drives up the cost of stuff for everyone and puts the merchant at (modest, imho) risk since they then have to return the item to the manufacturer and hope to get credit for it. when folks are as price conscious as they are this becomes a practice that's hard to justify.
    They don't have to return something to the manufacturer if the customer simply doesn't like the color or the perceived quality. And if it IS a defective product, then they do indeed need to deal with the manufacturer, not just leave it in the hands of the consumer and say "no, sorry". Besides, the option is I can have my CC vendor reverse the charge, then the retailer will be out the total of the income. I can also get a refund from the manufacturer, bypassing the retailer, which is what I did in this case.

In both cases, the retailer loses because not only will I no longer spend money there, I'll come on a forum like this one and share my negative experience.

It's all just something retailers have to figure out how to deal with. And the ones that survive do figure out how to deal with it. Just another cost of doing business. Still way, way less expensive than keeping a physical store front open for me to physically walk in, examine the color of the widget, then deciding not to buy it.

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke
    www.n0eq.com

Quote Originally Posted by n0eq View Post
    They don't have to return something to the manufacturer if the customer simply doesn't like the color or the perceived quality.
    they can't sell it as new, either, since it isn't.

getting a refund from the manufacturer is lucky at best--most warranties don't say anything about cash refunds. that you were able to get it this time was nice, but i wouldn't expect that as a matter of course.
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Over the years, I have found GigaParts very good overall. Workable website. Good service and very fast ship. Bought my 756P3 from them (free PS), as well as the AL80B.

There used to be a really good, fun ham shop in Newcastle, DE, some twenty-five or so years back (but then, there were LOTS of fun ham shops twenty-five or more years back, even in Maryland). I drove up to the HRO in Newcastle a couple of times, but the travel was not worth the trouble. Disappointing store; disappointing stock. Prices are generally close to the same everywhere.
    Local ham stores are disappearing, one by one.

The one in DE I miss is the old EGE. Dealt with them a lot when I worked at Westech (also long defunct). The EGE stores were bought out by HRO, and were never the same afterwards.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

HRO Atlanta is stuck in 1975.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    HRO Atlanta is stuck in 1975.
    Not sure how you mean that. In many ways, except for the CB craze (and having to walk thirty-eight miles to and from the FCC testing office in a raging blizzard, which Glenn Zook and others assured me was the case), I wish we were back in 1975! Lots of amateur retail outlets, filled with lots of fun folks; Heathkit in full swing; I think both Lafayette and Allied were still in business; even Radio Shack was a way different operation.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

Not sure how you mean that. In many ways, except for the CB craze (and having to walk thirty-eight miles to and from the FCC testing office in a raging blizzard, which Glenn Zook and others assured me was the case), I wish we were back in 1975! Lots of amateur retail outlets, filled with lots of fun folks; Heathkit in full swing; I think both Lafayette and Allied were still in business; even Radio Shack was a way different operation.
    Lafayette was. They didn't meet their demise until much later, after the CB craze abated.

I still have the Lafayette SW receiver I bought as an SWL circa 1971... still works, too. Looking back, I know now it was the wrong radio for a budding ham to buy (GC tune only and no BFO), but my father insisted to me that the salesman knew what he was selling me. Either the salesman saw a kid as a sucker, or (more likely) my dad thought I had no long term interest in radio and didn't want me to waste a lot of money, so he went with the cheaper rig. So it goes.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

My 1975 comment, store, building, smell.
    As for the market availability of having a place (several many) to walk into to look at and touch, I miss that too.