Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hollow Point Bullets Recalled That Don't Explode In Targets

Hollow Point Bullets Recalled That Don't Explode In Targets

“The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Hmmmm, They recall a brand of bullet that doesn't expand properly,BUT wasn't a brand (Black Talon?) taken off the market for being too good? something about being able to penetrate police vests and expand into virtually a spinning razor blade?......
    They just can't seem to get it right from one extreme to the other.......
    Honorary Old Fart
    Dirty Old Mans club Junior Auxillary
    (Dirty Old Man in waiting)
    Get off My Lawn.
    ===========================
    4 out of 5 Seniors Prefer the taste
    of Alpo over other leading National Brands

Yes !
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Quote Originally Posted by kd8dey View Post
    Hmmmm, They recall a brand of bullet that doesn't expand properly,BUT wasn't a brand (Black Talon?) taken off the market for being too good? something about being able to penetrate police vests and expand into virtually a spinning razor blade?......
    They just can't seem to get it right from one extreme to the other.......
    I remember the Black Talons. As I recall, they weren't taken off the market, but were "reserved" for enforcement folks. Police could buy them, but you or I couldn't. Fred or Albi will probably better recall the history.

We can buy the talon bullets here, no need for it actually..
    Still have 4000 Winchester silvertips for the Desert Eagle/S&W 686.
    And a few 1000 full metal jacket flat point in .357 M.
    Lead bullets i pour myself here for the M1 Carbine, hard letter lead also for the S&W revolver.

Our paper targets don't shoot back, annoyingly....;)
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Wiki to the rescue --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Talon

Winchester voluntarily pulled the ammunition from the market completely in 2000. The “Ranger SXT” ammunition sold today by Winchester is very similar to the Black Talon without the black Lubalox coating on the bullet. Among shooters, the running joke is that SXT stands for “Same eXact Thing”.

Quote Originally Posted by kf0rt View Post
    I remember the Black Talons. As I recall, they weren't taken off the market, but were "reserved" for enforcement folks. Police could buy them, but you or I couldn't. Fred or Albi will probably better recall the history.
    Wish I could help, but I am ignorant of most of those types of loads. Hardball .45ACP, 185 Nosler JHP target and 200 lead SWC target loads are about all I would shoot for target, and my personal preference for a defensive handgun has always been a revolver -- I favor the 2.5" Colt Diamondback in .38 S&W Special, either 158 RN lead or a frangible HP for use indoors.

Nowadays I shoot the .22 rimfire almost exclusively in outdoor bullseye competition.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

I agree with the video. When you shoot to kill you want a bullet that has some true killing power.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kf0rt View Post
    I have an unopened box of 9mm Black Talon.
    Last edited by kc7jty; 10-03-2010 at 07:10 PM.

Banned
    Hello.

What you do is buy a package of hollow point rounds (bullets) and a package of cleats (spikes) for running shoes as well as the correct size and thread tap.
    Thread the bullets and screw the cleats in.
    Fire this at something.
    The bullet proper provides the mass needed to punch that small piece of steel through a lot of stuff.
    Try is, it costs so little to produce a dozen or so rounds.