Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do I make a dipole?

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar

How do I make a dipole?

Disclaimer:

This thread is what you'd like to reply when you read those ever-present questions!!!

I want to put up a dipole. I have limited space and can't put up the total length specified by the formula, so will it work OK if it's shorter? Can't use a tuner. Should I put up a G5RV instead? How long would that be. Can I use coax? How about balanced line without a tuner - I remember some BA's used that way.

What kind of coax?
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

I use a G5RV and can tell you that the performance is a bit limited. It works very well on 20m and acceptably on 40m but that's about it. I'm looking to upgrade to something else as soon as finances allow.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH View Post
    What kind of coax?
    If it's going to be outdoors, I would recommend using the waterproof kind.

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH View Post
    Disclaimer:

This thread is what you'd like to reply when you read those ever-present questions!!!

I want to put up a dipole. I have limited space and can't put up the total length specified by the formula, so will it work OK if it's shorter? Can't use a tuner. Should I put up a G5RV instead? How long would that be. Can I use coax? How about balanced line without a tuner - I remember some BA's used that way.

What kind of coax?
    I second using the waterproof coax. If you have limited space, then use a limited space antenna.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Best feed line as far as loss goes would be window line. If you need coax and can afford it, LMR-400 is very nice. Don't really need it for HF but if you want coax with the minimum loss it can't be beat. If not, RG-8 is good. Stay away from RG-58, line losses are way too high.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Instead of shorter can you zig-zag it any? That might cram it in your available space..

get a tuner and load the neighbors chain link fence as a long wire. hook same tuner to the gutter on your house and load it. think and experiment jackass.

BTW i have loaded a gutter on a house for use on 10 meters and i have loaded a barbed wire pasture fence for 10 through 160m. i have no idea how long the wire fence was but in a bind it really does not matter.

a yankee living in the hind end of the bible belt
    some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2crk View Post
    get a tuner and load the neighbors chain link fence as a long wire. hook same tuner to the gutter on your house and load it. think and experiment jackass.

Jackass? That seems uncalled for.

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Jackass? That seems uncalled for.
    See OP:
    "This thread is what you'd like to reply when you read those ever-present questions!!!"
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    See OP:
    "This thread is what you'd like to reply when you read those ever-present questions!!!"
    Duh, missed that totally. I thought that remark seemed sort of out of character and un-Island-like.