Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fan Loop?

Fan Loop?

Ok, guys. I always ask my antenna questions over on the other site, so I figured I'd give you guys a chance to answer one. I am planning on putting up an 80 meter loop skywire antenna. It's a full wave horizontal loop fed with 450 ohm ladderline. I got to thinking the other day that maybe I could create a loop within a loop type of antenna. The outside loop would be a full wave on 80 meters; the next loop, inside that 80m loop, would be a full wave 40 meter loop; and then the third loop would be a full wave 20 meter loop. If you look at the antenna from the top, it would look like three squares inside of each other, with a single feed point set up the way they set up fan dipoles. Are ya getting the picture? How do you think this would work?
    Last edited by W9PSK; 09-29-2010 at 06:06 PM.

Echolink Node #401099

Probably not too well. You're going to be dealing with some interesting reactances as a result of the even "resonance" multiples, and I don't think your tuner is going to effectively cancel them out especially at higher frequencies.

You could get away with just one loop, cut to accommodate the lowest frequency you plan to use.

Or is a radiation angle which changes with increasing frequency what you're after?
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

I just want something that is going to work and work well. I've done some research on this 80m skywire antenna, and know it's a good one, but I was wondering if modifying the design to make it into a fan loop skywire (Yes, I am making up that name just in case it turns out to be a brilliant idea that I can market and make millions on. :D) would work.

Echolink Node #401099

My drawing totally sucks, but this is basically what the antenna would look like. The antenna itself would be horizontal and the ladderline would be vertical.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Echolink Node #401099

Quote Originally Posted by W9PSK View Post
    I just want something that is going to work and work well. I've done some research on this 80m skywire antenna, and know it's a good one, but I was wondering if modifying the design to make it into a fan loop skywire (Yes, I am making up that name just in case it turns out to be a brilliant idea that I can market and make millions on. :D) would work.
    In a fan dipole configuration, one can get away with what you're proposing. Things change when you close the ends of the loop(s).

You could stack multiple loops in a configuration that will give you optimum takeoff angles for each desired band then use a latching relay system to connect each to your open-wire line. Bear in mind that if the circumferences of each loop differ more than a very small amount (0.5%) you're probably going to need to adjust the matching network with each loop change.

A neat way to do this would be to construct a band-tracking/memory preset circuit for each. Or use separate, independently tunable matching networks at each feedpoint.

ETA: I would make the loops horizontal and the feedline vertical. You're not going to gain anything with a multiloop, horizontal broadside array unless you make one or more of the elements parasitic and use them to focus the radiated beam.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Just use it multi-band with a tuner. Make it as big and as high as you can. Trust me.

I miss my 460' loop, the dipole is OK, but the loop was quieter. The DX lobes kicked ass on 20, 17 and 15. Mine was suspended by 6 pulleys, and I could slide the whole loop to change the feed point and tweak the direction of the lobes. All it took was listening to specific DX pileups with the speaker on the roof, and I slid it back and forth. Ended up being fed about 1/4 of the length of a side closer to a corner.

One thing you can do is open one side opposite the feed point, and make it tune better on lower frequencies. This will change the pattern though...

Have you registered (free) at http://www.cebik.com

This you must do, find the Tales and Technical section, then read his stuff on loops. Well, everything, actually.

Specifically, these topics... links require login!

Notes on All-Band Use of Horizontal-Plane Loops(10-28-1997)
    A 40-Meter Star (04-13-2003)
    Horizontally Oriented, Horizontally Polarized Large Wire Loop Antennas (03-29-1999)
    Horizontal Loops: How Big? How High? What Shape? (10-21-2004)
    Half-Wavelength Interrupted Loops: Their Evolution and Uses (03-01-2008 ) (pdf)

Note: Antennex.com owns this stuff now, as W4RNL is an SK.
    So all rights reserved blah blah, and you will get some spam for
    expensive goodies from Antennex.com. Worth it though.
    Last edited by WØTKX; 09-29-2010 at 07:20 PM.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    You could get away with just one loop, cut to accommodate the lowest frequency you plan to use.
    This would be my suggestion.

Or is a radiation angle which changes with increasing frequency what you're after?
    He'll get it, whether he wants it or not.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    He'll get it, whether he wants it or not.
    Right, but stacking the loops and selecting one based on frequency used and height above ground will mitigate this somewhat.

Forum Addict
    You'd light up the shack like a christmas tree with rf, And cancel each other out.

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Right, but stacking the loops and selecting one based on frequency used and height above ground will mitigate this somewhat.
    If you want nothing but NVIS, sure.

I prefer a different path. ;)
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.