Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hot Toddy... ??

Hot Toddy... ??

What is a "Hot Toddy" ? These girls in a drug store today were wondering what it is ? I told them that it I think it is an alcoholic drink, generally served warm or hot. If I recall a mix of apple cider, liquor, and cinnamon. I also mentioned that it was a nickname for a young woman when I was in college. But I didn't go into detail about that. They laughed.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Ask your girlfriend Sarah?
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

I believe the drink described by the OP is also one of the many versions of wassail.
    A toddy is more along the lines of something to drink for a cold or such.
    1 tbsp honey
    3/4 glass tea
    2 shots brandy
    1 slice lemon

From da Wikipedia:

Hot toddy is a name given to a mixed drink, usually including alcohol, that is served hot. Hot toddies (such as mulled cider) are traditionally drunk before going to bed, or in wet and/or cold weather. They were believed to help cure the cold and flu, but the American Lung Association now recommends avoiding treating the common cold with alcoholic beverages as they cause dehydration.

Traditional Scottish recipe: Pour a shot of Whisky into a cup or mug, add boiling water to it. Add a spoonful of honey or sugar. Add a half slice of lemon, 2 cloves and, if you have one, a cinnamon stick. Let it brew for 3–5 minutes.

Depending on preference, you can remove the cloves and cinnamon stick before drinking, although leaving them in is often said to make a toddy even better for clearing a blocked nose and relieving a head cold.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

And in a barely related tangent from the Ole Miss fan site , the well-known classic cheer , perhaps related to the drink , I dunno .

Are you ready? Hell yes! Damn Right!
    Hotty Toddy, Gosh almighty
    Who in the hell are we - Hey
    Flim Flam, Bim Bam
    Ole Miss By Damn!
    I won't question your Creator's wisdom , but you are responsible for your own actions .

Russ, W5RB

I believe the name "toddy" is a corruption of "tot" -- which is the old English slang (esp naval slang) for a ration of liquor, usually rum. Hot toddies can be compounded from virtually any whiskey, brandy or rum, and, as our trusted barman notes, usually include honey, lemon and spices such as cinnamon, clove, nutmeg or anise.

Sissy drink. Damn cinnamon sticks will put your eye out, like those damned umbrellas, and who needs to muck up good booze with a load of sweet crap? Grow a pair and drink it neat. Want it hot?, have at it, but don't dilute it with a lot of girlie gewgaws.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Sehr interessant.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

Banned
    It's Scotch, also with a pat of butter on it. Always drank by the Scots for a cold.
    First thing my Scotch grandmother said when she learned one had a cold, "make a hot toddy".

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by W3MIV View Post
    Sehr interessant.
    Muy interesante