Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving up the rum list: Zaya Gran Reserva

Moving up the rum list: Zaya Gran Reserva

This is strictly for sipping. Twelve years in used Kentucky bourbon barrels, blended by masters. This stuff is precious.

Deep, honey color and a wonderful nose that hints of vanilla beans and chocolate, of almonds and, maybe even a bit of apple. On the palette this stuff is awesome, smooth and velvety, almost buttery, with a strong presence of caramel and brown sugar. No burn at all, despite the 80 proof. Smoother than fine silk. It begs to be sipped neat, but I shall resort to a cube or two only to try it.

Pricey. My local Mafioso gets $42 for the 750ml.

Once a product of Guatemala, I believe, it is now being distilled and blended in Trinidad.
    Last edited by W3MIV; 09-26-2010 at 07:30 PM.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

Orca Whisperer
    Stick a shot glass, or whiskey glass; in the freezer. Pour into it, rather than adding ice. The glass will keep the drink cool enough, long enough for you to enjoy it without bruising it with the ice when it melts.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    Stick a shot glass, or whiskey glass; in the freezer. Pour into it, rather than adding ice. The glass will keep the drink cool enough, long enough for you to enjoy it without bruising it with the ice when it melts.
    No. The point will be to taste it on ice, not merely chilled. Some rums handle ice with aplomb, others not so nobly. Try, for example, three fingers of Pusser's Royal Navy in a jelly glass with two cubes and chase the meltdown.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by W3MIV View Post
    No. The point will be to taste it on ice, not merely chilled. Some rums handle ice with aplomb, others not so nobly. Try, for example, three fingers of Pusser's Royal Navy in a jelly glass with two cubes and chase the meltdown.
    Got ya. I thought you were just adding the ice because you don't like room temp drinks (I don't), but concerned about affecting the quality.

Banned
    does it come in the mini bottle for sampling?

Quote Originally Posted by kc7jty View Post
    does it come in the mini bottle for sampling?
    Interesting idea, but I doubt it. Seems that what you are likely to get in the miniature shelf is Ron Rico, Bacardi and the like. Strictly the mixer trade, I would imagine.

Forty-two skekels is a bit high for three-quarters of a litre, I'll admit, and the more so the way I could go through this stuff! It really is that good.

Next stop will be Pyrat XO, but my personal TARP means I have to wait a bit before finding out what "Luca Brazzi" will demand for the privilege -- if the bastard'll even get it for me.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

Banned
    One review says Zaya tastes like Creme Brulee. You have my attention.

http://1000corks.com/search?page=3&st=Zaya
    Last edited by kc7jty; 09-26-2010 at 08:33 PM.

It looks like a fun bottle ... if nothing else. LOL!
    My weekly shot was Dewars.

Quote Originally Posted by kc7jty View Post
    One review says Zaya tastes like Creme Brulee. You have my attention.
    I would say that is a sophisticated opinion, and one that I could agree with. There is, as I thought I pointed out, a very strong caramel, vanilla and sugar presence, particularly brown sugar or a rich molasses. Carrying the analogy further, the texture of a crème brulée, smooth and custardy, fits well with the sensation Zaya leaves on the palette.

I defer to that taster's judgment.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

Orca Whisperer
    Well, I'm sold enough to check it out. Not too much of a rum person, but this seems a couple steps better than Bacardi or Cpt. Morgan...