Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Can I Build With ...

What Can I Build With ...

... 100 feet of LMR 400, 60 feet of 450 ohm window line, 500 feet+/- of 10 gauge insulated copper wire and a 1.5KW 1:1 current balun?
    Possibly 160m + 80/40m and possible 20m but should be centered around 80/40m.
    Got some trees, some rope plus 100 feet of UV Dacron rope. Trees are 100 feet tall in some spots.
    Should I use the window line for a folded dipole @20/40 and the 10ga wire fore a 160/80 connected to the same point on the balun?

I'm all ears.

PS, have 20 feet of heavy duty tv mast on the ground, can get about 10 or 20 more. One mast already up at 36 feet that I could also use to support the center but mast wise, can't go over 40 feet without getting into some really serious support stuff.

I'd suggest an inverted L antenna for 160 m, but that's just me.

BTW, did you get those photos I sent?
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Ah yes I did. Thank you berry much. No worries, I use a crappy cell phone sometimes and have pulled miracles out of my miracle puller.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    I'd suggest an inverted L antenna for 160 m, but that's just me.
    Would it change for the worse if it came out more like an inverted J?

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Ah yes I did. Thank you berry much. No worries, I use a crappy cell phone sometimes and have pulled miracles out of my miracle puller.
    Glad you got 'em. Some pretty nice items, you ought to be able to use at least some of them.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Would it change for the worse if it came out more like an inverted J?
    Hard to say, I am certainly no great expert.

Give it a try, you never know about stuff like that. I made a 6m antenna using copper pipe and an old water heater, it works great, and that's what makes ham radio a fun hobby
    Last edited by NQ6U; 09-22-2010 at 01:04 AM.

Well once it goes up, it doesn't come back down except for catastrophic failure. I've considered using a pulley system at 4 points to raise and lower it. That would mean counter weights at each of the 4 points.

Bump up for attention.
    Still listening.

Ask over at the other site. They know everything. Just askem. You'll even get formulas, smith charts, drawings, and all kinds of shit you didn't ask for. And since the first is smarter than the second, ad pukem, they'll be at each others throat in a heart beat.

I kind of agree but lately I've been going more Zen. I'd rather ask what the happy people think.