Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Real vintage radio

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    You look at least 27 in that pic.
    27h?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Believe it or not, they were able to make trans-Atlantic QSOs with them, albeit just barely.
    Pretty neat!

Quote Originally Posted by N2KKM View Post
    Pretty neat!
    Yeah, too bad it's illegal to hook one up to an antenna. It would be fun to play around with them.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Banned
    Yeah, too bad it's illegal to hook one up to an antenna. It would be fun to play around with them.
    How many watts of broadband noise does that thing generate? The tank coil suggests that this particular transmitter at least attenuates out-of-band signal to some degree.

How many watts of broadband noise does that thing generate? The tank coil suggests that this particular transmitter at least attenuates out-of-band signal to some degree.
    I don't know how many watts that particular one generated--not a lot, I think, judging by it's size--but those spark gap machines were pretty much all broadband noise. Back then it didn't matter because there wasn't much else on the bands but now if you were to hook one up to an antenna and transmit, you can bet that you'd bring the heat down on you so fast it would make your head spin.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Clearly not a hamfest. Someone should post that on teh Zeds. The cabinet burning might make some people cry.

Orca Whisperer
    I don't know how many watts that particular one generated--not a lot, I think, judging by it's size--but those spark gap machines were pretty much all broadband noise. Back then it didn't matter because there wasn't much else on the bands but now if you were to hook one up to an antenna and transmit, you can bet that you'd bring the heat down on you so fast it would make your head spin.
    I dunno. Took a long time for the BPL knuckles to get rapped...
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    I dunno. Took a long time for the BPL knuckles to get rapped...
    Yeah except BPL isn't advertising your callsign over a 30 mHz spread in CW.

Yeah except BPL isn't advertising your callsign over a 30 mHz spread in CW.
    And you don't have the same sort of financial influence the power companies have either.

You just hafta love the old stuff. It would be real hard to find a transmitter with dovetailed corners in this day and age.