Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Brew?

Home Brew?

Anyone here make their own beer, cider, or wine?

I have brewed off and on for about 10 years now. Getting back into it now that I have some man space to play in. Started a batch of Graff (cider with some malt extracts mixed in) over the weekend. I mainly do 2.5 gallon batches since I am the only one who drinks in the family and I like having a variety on hand rather than 5 gallons of one brew.

Going to try making some rose hip wine in a week or so. Should be interesting.
    "The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." - George Orwell

Sounds great. I don't do it because I prefer distilled spirits. But doing it yourself at home is the way to grow. Home made beer, wine, home grown pot... all good stuff.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Banned
    Hello.

I do home brew from time to time.
    I also grew some really massive poppy plants.
    Amazing since I do not normally do not drink and do not like opium or weed.
    But I know exactly where to get bat shit in a bag and can construct the ideal grow light for whatever application.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grow_light
    What I like is a sunroof that does not illuminate at night.
    The trick is done with smoke and mirrors, or actually just mirrors. ;)
    Place plywood sheets that have aluminum foil on one side and black cloth on the other with eyehooks on each corner in the area over the grow lights.
    Use the same type of pulley system used for a cloths line, 2 on each side of the plywood, and hang the plywood on this.
    You may have 2 or more rows of plywood and pulleys and as much as a dozen sheets of plywood per pulley pair.
    The same machine that works a garage door can work this.
    You have the area that is translucent that your plants and grow lights are under and an area twice that size that the pulleys cover.
    A photo switch and relay can be configured to trip the lights on and move the panels, fully automatic.
    Forget that cheap toilet float to regulate water levels.
    Go to some Ag supply joint and buy a stock waterer float valve assembly.
    And no, I am not a pothead, users are losers.

Quote Originally Posted by al2n View Post
    Going to try making some rose hip wine in a week or so. Should be interesting.
    First batch of wine I ever made was rose hip wine. Wasn't half bad, although I don't think Chateau Lafitte got overly concerned about it either.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

I have memories of, as a little kid -- a toddler, in fact -- of the rifle shots in my grandfather's cellar stair as his home brews began to self-destruct. No sirens. No flashing red lights. Just BAM! POW! POP! CRACK! as one after another committed a sort of fermentation hara-kiri on the steps.

Boy, that old Irishman could cuss in Gaelic and English. What a mess. We all ran like hell to get away.

Such is the memory that blossoms for me whenever anyone speaks of homebrew.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

Throw a wine recipe out there, someone.

What is the best temp to dissolve the yeast at?

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    What is the best temp to dissolve the yeast at?
    Around 100 F. Body temp.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Thinking about putting together a recipe using frozen concentrated juice mixes and about a pound of sugar per gallon.