Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For Tower Junkies

For Tower Junkies

A climb up a guyed TV tower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txdv_oNq81I

Watch for the motion sickness...

Man, talk about your brass balls...
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

What a wuss!!! Next time try climbing a tower in a tuxedo and top hat!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUCwV...eature=channel
    Last edited by n0iu; 09-15-2010 at 11:42 AM.
    Scott - NØIU
    http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv124/scottaschultz/iub.jpg
    President - National Sarcasm Society
    "Like we need your support!"

Quote Originally Posted by n0iu View Post
    What a wuss!!! Next time try climbing a tower in a tuxedo and top hat!!!
    I've seen that before, it's pretty cool, but the tower they climbed isn't even 1/10th as high as the one in the video above.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

There was a time I didn't mind climbing. I used to have to go up the 550' AM towers where I worked all the time, but I was a lot younger then and didn't really mind it. Several years later, while I was working at a local TV station, one of the other guys and I got called out for an antenna problem. Jimmy went up while I stayed on the ground sending up whatever he needed. After the repair was made, he was about half way back down the tower when he lost his grip, and wasn't tied off. He fell several hundred feet to his death. That really f*cked me up for a long time, and I haven't gone up a tower since. The really sad part was he was to have been married the following week.

Climb a 1600+ foot tower? NFW.

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    There was a time I didn't mind climbing.
    Kind of the same for me, although to a lesser extreme. I used to be a CATV line tech and was up and down utility poles all day long for years. Then, one day, my gaffs cut out on one of those hard gas-treated poles (the grey ones, as opposed to the creosote-treated brown ones) and I fell about thirty feet. I was pretty lucky--the ground at the base of the pole was very soft because of recent rain and I wasn't hurt other than having to go to the emergency room to have a three-inch splinter removed from my right forearm. The doctor had to cut off the jacket and shirt I was wearing because the splinter had pinned them to my arm. I still continued to climb poles afterwards--in fact, I climbed that pole again immediately to finish the job before I went to the ER--but I was never as comfortable afterwards. Now, after having been away from it for twenty years, I find just thinking about it makes me a little nervous.

I'm not bothered by high places in general as long as I feel secure but I couldn't do any serious tower climbing any more. Once I get above twenty feet or so, I start feeling uncomfortable.

You people are NUCKIN' FUTS to climb something like that. And furthermore, what if you get to the top and have to make doo-doo?
    "Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

Quote Originally Posted by NA4BH View Post
    what if you get to the top and have to make doo-doo?
    You ever seen the splat a turd makes after it's fallen 1600 feet? Spec-tacular!

I wanna see that climb in Imax.

Weird that this guy has my name . I've been to similar heights , in my skinnier days . Never had the nerve to climb outside at that height , to get on the antenna itself . I've ridden the lift to ~1500' , changing bulbs , mostly . Still the video is hard to watch . Makes me nearly nauseous . No Imax for me . Bob , I never had that come up while aloft , but more than once on the ground , the tower crew would call down on the radio or intercom and suggest , "Y'all might wanna get upwind for the next 3 or 4 minutes..."
    I won't question your Creator's wisdom , but you are responsible for your own actions .

Russ, W5RB