Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac and Cheese

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar

Mac and Cheese

Just found a recipe with a twist - dry white wine - at cooks.com

It's not bad. I used dry vermouth for the wine (a tip I learned from Julia Child), and it adds a really nice touch to the sauce.

Next time I'll use sweet butter and shallots rathern than salted butter and onions.
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Banned
    Gourmet Mac & Cheese!? Geezus, I guess if it's still orange it's ok.

Sounds too much like an up-scale variant of high-school cafeteria macaroni and cheese to me. Way too much fat (not that you can really make the stuff without fat, but there oughta be some limit).

I make a very simple macaroni and cheese using only diced tomatoes (fresh if you can get 'em and have the time to scald, skin and chop 'em -- but canned works OK for me; remember, it's usually a winter dish), grated cheese (I like Irish cheddar, but any sharp cheddar will do in a pinch, or provolone). Crushed red peppers, some Eye-tye herbs (or just basil, either fresh or dehydrated at your pleasure). Dash of salt.

Two and a-half cups macaroni, cooked a bit longer than you would usually cook it. Put half in the bottom of a "Pam-ed" bowl of about two and a-half quarts that is Trumanized (can stand the heat). Spoon about half the tomatoes over the macaroni, sprinkle with the herbs, red pepper and a dash of salt; cover with a layer of grated cheese. Add another layer of macaroni (the balance) and the remainder of the tomatoes. Again, a spritz of herbs, salt and red pepper. Cover with a nice cap of cheese. Don't neglect to add the tomato juice if from a can of diced, or add a bit of tomato juice (and use the rest to make a bloody mary to ease the wait).

Bake the whole magilla for about forty-five minutes or an houah at 350° F, mid oven. Let it sit for about fifteen minutes before hacking into it.

Still a load of milk fat from the cheese, but what the hell. Life is too long anyway.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

That sounds delicious -- gonna try it. "Trumanized" -- :rofl:

I should have pointed out that I use a deep bowl and not a flat, "lasagna" style dish. Mine are antiques the A&P used to give away back in the Thirties, but I imagine something from Corning would work -- just deeper than wide so that the baked macaroni has some depth. It will serve four generously, six to eight as a side with real food.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

I've got both types and didn't know which to use. I'll try the deep on next time.

Mac & Cheese
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Just about any cheese in that pic would work for me in the macaroni save the bleu, the camembert, the glue sticks and the stack of yellow rubber (or are they thick Post-Its?). Swiss is very nice and nutty in a macaroni, as is Jarlsberg.
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

I cook the pasta on the stove, then layer up goodies in a big glass bowl. Feta and Parmesan are the preferred cheeses. Sometimes left over veggies, such as Chinese take-out leftovers.

The big difference is, I use the microwave to melt the goodies in layers, then stir it. Use beer, wine, and other sauces to "tweak", never the same twice, but I know what I like.

Bachelor Chow, Now With Flavor!

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Banned
    I don't do M&C, gourmet, or Kraft kit.
    Barilla Rigatoni w Barilla sauce in a jar poured over it with EV olive oil, red pepper, and fresh grated Pecorino Romano.
    If my hand keeps improving I'm goin back to making French bread pizzas in the toaster oven with my homemade sauce.