Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looks Like They Found The Oil The Microbes Ate...

Looks Like They Found The Oil The Microbes Ate...

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/20...e-Microbes-Ate...

Ooops....:roll:
    Scientists on a research vessel in the Gulf of Mexico are finding a substantial layer of oily sediment stretching for dozens of miles in all directions. Their discovery suggests that a lot of oil from the Deepwater Horizon didn't simply evaporate or dissipate into the water — it has settled to the seafloor.
    The Research Vessel Oceanus sailed on Aug. 21 on a mission to figure out what happened to the more than 4 million barrels of oil that gushed into the water. Onboard, Samantha Joye, a professor in the Department of Marine Sciences at the University of Georgia, says she suddenly has a pretty good idea about where a lot of it ended up. It's showing up in samples of the seafloor, between the well site and the coast.

Joye describes seeing layers of oily material — in some places more than 2 inches thick — covering the bottom of the seafloor.

"It's very fluffy and porous. And there are little tar balls in there you can see that look like microscopic cauliflower heads," she says.
    It's very clearly a fresh layer. Right below it she finds much more typical seafloor mud. And in that layer, she finds recently dead shrimp, worms and other invertebrates.
    (heavysigh) So basically the dirt on the ocean floor is soaking up the oil as it settles. Oh well, I suppose the hungryhungry Microbes dream was nice while it lasted. I'm glad at least that scientists are finding out just what happened. Hopefully some bright engineers will be able to come up with half-decent ways of getting more of it cleaned up. On BP's dime, of course.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Not at all surprised. I never bought that "the microbes ate it" thing anyhow.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Too bad BP has declared "Mission Accomplished", taken their toys and gone home...

Time to nationalize their assets and liquidate them to offset their debt.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

All oil and energy research and production should be nationalized. We should take a hint from Hugo Chavez. As for the microbe thing, I highly doubted the microbes at the massive amounts of oil that spewed out of that thing for weeks and weeks and weeks.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

SK Member (Late April, 2019) W4RLR's Avatar
    And all the while, BP issued checks to vendors and claimants, and then stopped payment on the checks.

I sent my company's BP charge card back to them, told them to take the chopped up remnants and place them firmly in the orifice of their choice at their earliest possible convenience.

As for nationalizing oil exploration, refining, and distribution, while that may be the wet dream of the liberal left and a prospect that makes Maxine Waters positively orgasmic, just take a look at how efficiently other government programs are run. The bureaucrats of the U.S. government could fsck up the manufacture of Jell-O.
    Last edited by W4RLR; 09-13-2010 at 06:05 PM.
    73 de Richard W4RLR
    Southern born,
    Southern bred, centrist conservative.
    Posting messages via HughesNet satellite internet.

Retired U.S. Air Force NCO
    Member, Sons of Confederate Veterans
    The Ancient Order of Turtles
    ARRL, SPAR, Six Meters Worldwide, Chattanooga ARC
    ARRL Accredited VE

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by W4RLR View Post
    And all the while, BP issued checks to vendors and claimants, and then stopped payment on the checks.

I sent my company's BP charge card back to them, told them to take the chopped up remnants and place them firmly in the orifice of their choice at their earliest possible convenience.

As for nationalizing oil exploration, refining, and distribution, while that may be the wet dream of the liberal left and a prospect that makes Maxine Waters positively orgasmic, just take a look at how efficiently other government programs are run. The bureaucrats of the U.S. government could fsck up the manufacture of Jell-O.
    Yeah, because we can't do anything right, like:

* National Defense
    * Dept. of the Interior
    * FCC
    * The FDIC program
    * Tricare

et al

There are a number of government programs that are incontestably, ran very well. Some, are subject to debate (Like Social Security).
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Orca Whisperer
    As an aside, I think the best way to clean this "loose oil" up would be to put up a sign in the gulf:"If you can get oil without drilling, it's free for the taking"
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by W4RLR View Post

"I sent my company's BP charge card back to them, told them to take the chopped up remnants and place them firmly in the orifice of their choice at their earliest possible convenience.I sent my company's BP charge card back to them, told them to take the chopped up remnants and place them firmly in the orifice of their choice at their earliest possible convenience."

Would've been better to leave it whole and add "sideways".

"The bureaucrats of the U.S. government could fsck up the manufacture of Jell-O."

I'm with 'UGV. The political leaders F-up all the time. The people actually doing the work have a lot of very talented, dedicated and skilled workers among them. I've known many personallly.
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

SK Member (10/28/2012) - Island Prude
    Shrimp, worms, microbes, and crude oil.
    Give McDonald's two years and they'll make it into a new fast food - the McSlurry.

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    Yeah, because we can't do anything right, like:

* National Defense
    * Dept. of the Interior
    * FCC
    * The FDIC program
    * Tricare

et al

There are a number of government programs that are incontestably, ran very well. Some, are subject to debate (Like Social Security).
    Not to mention the development of the Internet. A total gubmint failure.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.