Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk about Southern Coke

Talk about Southern Coke

(No, not the white powdery stuff...)

So Little Miss Field Day & I are at the supermarket last night, we're taking a look around for anything interesting, when I spot a display of old fashioned bottled Coca Cola and Fanta Orange. Haven't seen the green glass bottles in a long, long time.

Pick up a bottle to look at it... something looks strange... it's all in Spanish.

Mexican Coca Cola.

Now this may not be a big deal to you guys in the South and West (and even the SouthWest) but it's not something you see here in the Land of Taxes every day.

Bottle is complete with a stick-on label with bar code and nutrition information. Biggest difference? No high fructose corn syrup, this has real sugar in it! My gahd, it's the real original formula!

$1 for each 355 ml bottle ... that 16 ounces to us non metric types, so it's a bit more expensive than an equivalent can.

Had one with lunch today. Tastes a touch sweeter than "our" Coke, and the after bite isn't there, but otherwise, it's just what I expected.

I'll try and get a picture of it. LMFD has already confiscated the one empty for her collection (this goes well with baseball bobble heads? Sure), but I still have one more in the fridge...
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

We have that in the "boutique" drink section. I was just commenting on that yesterday to the YL while shopping.

I have two 6oz Cokes from the '60s in my cabinet. They will never be opened. They are in the old bottles with the raised glass name and not painted. They still have fizz when shaken.
    "Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

Mexican Coke actually tastes better than the U.S. type because it's made with cane sugar instead of high-fructose corn syrup. I don't drink soda pop often but when I get my occasional craving, I go down to Gonzales Northgate Market and pick up a six.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Have not seen the Coke, but we have real sugar Dr. Pepper available in some markets. Pepsi also has some real sugar available as well. They are marketing them under the "Throwback" ad gimmick.
    "The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." - George Orwell

I won't question your Creator's wisdom , but you are responsible for your own actions .

Russ, W5RB

Banned
    Hello.

Correct, and both Dr Pepper and Pepsi are available from the domestic bottlers with real sugar.
    This is both Kosher and Halal.
    Coke is only out as a special run in the US.
    http://consumerist.com/2010/03/koshe...-passover.html

I had one of those real cane sugar colas a few months ago. It did take me back almost 30 years.

I felt the same way about Pepsi Throwback and Dr Pepper Throwback. I forgot how good they used to taste.

Last edited by N2NH; 09-11-2010 at 12:12 AM.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

You can find it a Krogers around here along with some of the "convenience" gas stations....
    Honorary Old Fart
    Dirty Old Mans club Junior Auxillary
    (Dirty Old Man in waiting)
    Get off My Lawn.
    ===========================
    4 out of 5 Seniors Prefer the taste
    of Alpo over other leading National Brands