Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PTT issues

Orca Whisperer

PTT issues

So, I've been wracking my head around this rig interface I've been working on. Couldn't get the damned rig to TX no matter what.

So, I finally figured out my interface wasn't the problem. The PTT doesn't work on it. I finally had the duh moment, and tried to just short the two PTT lines together right from the mic jack. no dice.

So, it's a Kenwood TM-241A. This is my first foray into radio troubleshooting, and from what I see in the service manual, basically, the PTT goes from the switch to a 1.7KOhm resistor, then into the CPU.

I've tried a reset, JIC. No dice. However, I'm at a loss to see which of these SMD thingies are the resistor.

Any input?
    Last edited by KC2UGV; 09-06-2010 at 09:36 AM.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Does the rig work with a mic attached?
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Orca Whisperer
    No dice with the mic attached.

Good possibility that the CPU is flaky. I may have a spare -241 microprocessor assembly around here somewhere. If I do, you're welcome to it. I need to check out that PK-232 and get it in the mail to you as well...
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Have to watch the voltage levels from interface to radios. If the input voltage exceeds the VCC to the processor, the processor flakes out.

Orca Whisperer
    Ok, update! Leaving it off for a few hours + another rest (The manual details a "jumper" CPU reset seemed to clear it up). So, it's working FB now :) Seems like I know what happened. I think the serial port for this machine has a really, really low "off" state (12V). This biased the transistor, I think, and sent the wrong polarity to the PTT of the thing.. At least, I think that's what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    Ok, update! Leaving it off for a few hours + another rest (The manual details a "jumper" CPU reset seemed to clear it up). So, it's working FB now :) Seems like I know what happened. I think the serial port for this machine has a really, really low "off" state (12V). This biased the transistor, I think, and sent the wrong polarity to the PTT of the thing.. At least, I think that's what happened.
    Most of the later generation solid-state rigs I've dealt with keep their PTT lines about 1kohm or so above ground when keyed. You might want to look into using an optoisolator (4N25 or equivalent) as a "buffer" between the two devices.

My serial interface (for multiple radios)

http://paulfelgate.com/hamradio/serial/index.html

Works with IC-7000 also

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    This is good news! I was wondering if I had sent you a dud. Is the power output up to specs?

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Most of the later generation solid-state rigs I've dealt with keep their PTT lines about 1kohm or so above ground when keyed. You might want to look into using an optoisolator (4N25 or equivalent) as a "buffer" between the two devices.
    Yeah, next one I build will have an opto isolator in there. Just wanted to get off my keister and finally get this project finished.

Quote Originally Posted by N1LAF View Post
    My serial interface (for multiple radios)

http://paulfelgate.com/hamradio/serial/index.html

Works with IC-7000 also
    Bookmarked Paul :)

Quote Originally Posted by ad4mg View Post
    This is good news! I was wondering if I had sent you a dud. Is the power output up to specs?
    Yeah, no dud. Like I said, I think I reversed the polarity of the PTT input (Courtesy of the -12V low on the serial port). Fixed with a reverse-prevention diode. Looks like the power is up to snuff, be able to tell you for sure come tomorrow when I do the cross-town data xfer :)