Thread: How are the bands today?

Banned

How are the bands today?

...cuz I built myself an interim power supply using a car battery charger, two 120,000 uF electrolytics and a hand-wound choke, and threw an antenna up in the air. Not hearing much. Not ready to transmit yet, but getting there. Building an interface to the netbook for digital modes.

I hope my antenna has a problem because if this is how good the bands are right now, I'm almost sorry I wasted my time.

They've been quiet lately but sunspot activity has been picking up over the last few days. Keep listening, things are going to get better.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by N2KKM View Post
    ...cuz I built myself an interim power supply using a car battery charger, two 120,000 uF electrolytics and a hand-wound choke, and threw an antenna up in the air. Not hearing much.
    What band(s)?
    Last edited by KJ3N; 09-05-2010 at 12:22 PM.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Banned
    With this dipole and my Atlas 210x I can cover 80, 40, 20 and 15. The antenna doesn't seem to want to resonate well on 10, even with a tuner. Not surprising, it was designed for 30 meters. I hear a lot of noise and get a definite peak in the noise with the tuner on all the lower bands, but wow I don't think I've ever heard things this quiet before.

Well, there's a bit of a pile-up on Kahlid, A61BK on 14.278. If you're not hearing anything there, then you might have a problem.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Another note. This is typical activity on the bands during a non-major contest weekend. Although the anti-contesters like to tell you there's a contest every weekend, only the major ones generate wall-to-wall activity. Wait until next weekend, when WAE SSB starts. It'll be a world of difference.

Also start listening to the 40m band around 5-6 pm local. The SW BC stations should start to come in rather strong between 7.2 and 7.4 Mhz.

Absorption on 75/80 will keep the noise and signals down on that band until about 30-60 minutes before local sunset. After that, tuning anywhere between 3.8 to 4.0 should reveal many signals.

Don't forget that we're still at the bottom of Cycle 24.
    Last edited by KJ3N; 09-05-2010 at 03:02 PM.

Latest ClubLog entries.

10 was peeping and pooping on Friday. Literally hearing brief pieces and bits of conversation and then a period of nothing. Sporadic E?

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    10 was peeping and pooping on Friday. Literally hearing brief pieces and bits of conversation and then a period of nothing. Sporadic E?
    It would have to be. There's not enough solar flux to get 10m to do much of anything.

Latest ClubLog entries.

Banned
    I'm hearing some things on 80, 40 and 20 now. Totally dead before. It was weird.