Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So here I sit......

So here I sit......

I was going to take the family down to Spring Lake and set up our old tent and put my old Jon boat in the lake today.....Instead, I woke up with Cellulitis on/in my right lower leg.
    2 trips to the hospital and spend the day on the couch, and my lower leg is as big as a basketball and hurts like blue blazes.......from my ankle to my knee.

Perfect weekend for a couple of slow easy days at the lake......bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by KA9MOT View Post
    I was going to take the family down to Spring Lake and set up our old tent and put my old Jon boat in the lake today.....Instead, I woke up with Cellulitis on/in my right lower leg.
    Man, sorry to hear that, Steven. Take care of yourself.

Getting old is a bitch, ain't it?
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Inflammatory Cellulitis? subcutaneous?
    Have you been exposed to drying conditions?
    Just asking.

Banned
    Hope you're feeling better soon.

Banned
    Ugh, that sucks. D has had that. It usually means a week or more with the leg elevated. Hope you're better soon!

Brown recluses - how do they work?
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

whoa, bummer. Kick back and go for that speedy recovery.

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

I had cellulitis twice, in my lower left leg. The first time I had it (in 2007) I didn't know what it was. The first sign is a tingling pain in the skin for a few seconds when you stand on it. Then I started getting a low grade fever and noticed it was red and swollen and hot. The first thing they do when I went to the hospital is check for a blood clot. Then the IV antibiotics,, then I was on oral antibiotics for about a month afterwards.

I most recently got it again this past April. It came on without warning. I woke up with a high fever that intensified through the day. At peak intensity the fever was quite high a bit over 104, I was delirious, I couldn't think, and I couldn't care if I lived or died. Soon after the fever went down I noticed that pain in the leg and saw it was turning red. Went to the hospital the next morning and they put me through the same routine, check for clot, IV antibiotics, take home antibiotics + pain killers. However, this time round the infection did some damage to the leg and left me with mild edema (swelling) in the lower leg. As a result I have to wear a compression sock on that leg. Doctors say it may gradually go away or, it may stay with me for the rest of my life.

That cellulitis is nasty stuff. Once it gets a foothold it spreads fast. And potentially dangerous if not treated quickly.
    Last edited by n2ize; 09-05-2010 at 10:58 AM.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Glad you are not ignoring it.

A local ham buddy got that when I was in the hospital from the accident. He was there for about a week because it was hard to get under control.
    Thought he was going in for skin cream and a prescription, and ended up staying. Some folks are more susceptible, but it's very common.

That can be a life threatening infection, if untreated... some strains of bacteria have become "super bugs" and are more difficult to treat.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

With my other problems, this comes as no surprise but it is the first time I have experienced it. Day 2 and it doesn't hurt as bad and the swelling has gone down some. In March I had a DVT in this leg and spent more then a month on my couch and 4 days in the hospital. This leg has been junk ever since. I developed sores that leak on it and I think that is where the bacteria got in.
    Thanks for all the kind words...........I sure wish I was fishing right now.

I'm headed back to my couch now........
    Last edited by KA9MOT; 09-05-2010 at 11:03 AM.