Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bedbugs!!!!

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar

Bedbugs!!!!

Bedbugs

So far, I'm lucky - especially so with all the travel I've done the last few years. Anybody unfortunate enough to have those little buggers hitch a stealthy ride into your home?

I know two people who have. The guy living under me had 'em (sure glad they don't spread!), and another friend picked them up, she thinks, on a flight.

And here I thought "Don't let the bedbugs bite" was an ancient thing.
    Last edited by W1GUH; 08-31-2010 at 11:36 AM.
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Undisclosed solar powered burrow in Southern Maryland
    Alas...poor DDT.
    Yeah...I'm a furry...Deal with it!

DDT would be the single best way to exterminate a lot of these pests. It is safe and relatively non-toxic to humans. Unfortunately the big environmentalism scare put the whammy on DDT and made it into public enemy No. 1. DDT was good stuff. If it were on the market today I'd buy it and use it.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Undisclosed solar powered burrow in Southern Maryland
    Actually, its THE pesticide to eradicate bed bugs period! Now if the EPA would allow its LICENSED (not for homeowner/public use) use for this pest we could be done with them.
    Last edited by w3bny; 08-31-2010 at 01:25 PM.
    Yeah...I'm a furry...Deal with it!

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by w3bny View Post
    Actually, its THE pesticide to eradicate bed bugs period! Now if the EPA would allow its LICENSED (not for homeowner/public use) use for this pest we could be done with them.
    This would be the key here. Licensed (ie only used by licensed exterminators) use only. The environmental impact came from every Tom, Dick, Harry, and Sally dousing their grass with it to get rid of grubs. If it were limited to use by licensed exterminators, the issue wouldn't be nearly as bad.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Rats on the west side; bedbugs uptown!

...don't mind the maggots...
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Underneath the Atomic Ooze of Hanford, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Rats on the west side; bedbugs uptown!

...don't mind the maggots...
    my brains be splattered...
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q275/nx6d/ham%20radio/SANY1260.jpg

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    DDT would be the single best way to exterminate a lot of these pests. It is safe and relatively non-toxic to humans. Unfortunately the big environmentalism scare put the whammy on DDT and made it into public enemy No. 1. DDT was good stuff. If it were on the market today I'd buy it and use it.

this is the most amazing bird in the world, it can travel at 230 mph. I had the privilege of walking up on one in the Seattle area while it was eating a pigeon, I'll never forget it. I got within 12 feet. I froze and after a 10 second stare down it flew off without it's meal.
    DDT causes the egg shells of these and other birds to become so thin they break under the weight of the sitting bird. Peregrine Falcon.

http://www.extremescience.com/zoom/i...e-falcon-video
    Last edited by kc7jty; 08-31-2010 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kc7jty View Post

this is the most amazing bird in the world, it can travel at 230 mph. I had the privilege of walking up on one in the Seattle area while it was eating a pigeon, I'll never forget it. I got within 12 feet of it. I froze and after a 10 second stare down it flew off without it's meal.
    DDT causes the egg shells of these and other birds to become so thin they break under the weight of the sitting bird. Peregrine Falcon.
    The problem is that happens when DDT is used in excess. Even Rachael Carlson didn't feel that DDT should be banned. She did feel that it should be used with greater caution and not be used to such excess where it runs off into ground water, river, stream and lake water. With proper guidelines DDT can be used effectively such that it kills unwanted pests yet does not harm the ecosystem. Problem was that back in the 50's they were using DDT like water,

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    This would be the key here. Licensed (ie only used by licensed exterminators) use only. The environmental impact came from every Tom, Dick, Harry, and Sally dousing their grass with it to get rid of grubs. If it were limited to use by licensed exterminators, the issue wouldn't be nearly as bad.
    I disagree. I feel it should be allowed to be used as a household pesticide. DDT is not nearly as harmful to the environment as it has been made out to be. Matter of fact, some of the chemicals which replaced DDT after it was banned were far more toxic and dangerous than DDT. Matter of fact there is a noted lecturer on the benefits of DDT. Just before beginning each lecture he takes a teaspoonful of DDT just to show how harmless it is to humans.