Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Your Favourite Car(s)?

What's Your Favourite Car(s)?

Money is not a problem. You've got it and it's burning a hole in your pocket. Which car would you buy? And WHY?

For me that's a hard one. Too many great cars. I like vintage, but modern cars handle much better.

Vintage: 69 Cadillac Fleetwood and 70 Pontiac GTO Judge (68 Shelby GT 500 KR too) Always felt the Shelby was the ultimate Pony car. Judge could hold 6 and fly, maybe not as fast as George's Chevelle, but still very fast. The Fleetwood was the classic 60s Luxury Land Yacht.

Modern: Mazda i6, Corvette ZR-1 and Lamborghini Murcielago Lp640

Mazda because it has 4 doors and I had no trouble blowing the doors of 4 'vettes with it on I 4 one night.
    The Corvette because I always liked them. America's Sports car, tame, then wild. The ZR-1 because it's Americas only Supercar.
    The Lambo because it looks like the perfect mid engine super car.

Last edited by N2NH; 08-31-2010 at 03:14 AM.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Nice!
    The Lambo loses almost 100 horses on American pump gas. I know this because I watch television.

Cars: So many choices. It could years to drive them all just once. I'd start with simple and fix up a 67 through 72 VW. Probably the 311 version on the 67/68 or 69 and the 313 version on the 72. Fix them up to modern specs, heating and AC, 4w disc brakes, fuel injection, etc, you get the picture. I wouldn't race one against a Vett but they would be snappy and the handling on the 313 would be like riding on a monorail. Considering that factory, these cars rated 50 to 70 HP, imagine the combination you'd get out of a modernized 150 to 190 HP unit. Might even be overkill.

Maybe a land yacht. A grocery hauler. A nice interstate touring car. I don't want to race the damn things. That's better done on a track.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Nice!
    The Lambo loses almost 100 horses on American pump gas. I know this because I watch television.

Cars: So many choices. It could years to drive them all just once. I'd start with simple and fix up a 67 through 72 VW. Probably the 311 version on the 67/68 or 69 and the 313 version on the 72. Fix them up to modern specs, heating and AC, 4w disc brakes, fuel injection, etc, you get the picture. I wouldn't race one against a Vett but they would be snappy and the handling on the 313 would be like riding on a monorail. Considering that factory, these cars rated 50 to 70 HP, imagine the combination you'd get out of a modernized 150 to 190 HP unit. Might even be overkill.

Maybe a land yacht. A grocery hauler. A nice interstate touring car. I don't want to race the damn things. That's better done on a track.
    Didn't know that about the Lambo, but it figures. I'll bet it loses more on Ethanol/Gas.

I think I mentioned that I had a friend who was part of a group of Army guys stationed in Germany that wedged a Corvette L88 engine and tranny into the middle of a VW Bug. They beefed up the suspension, painted the rear passenger window black and took turns driving it around. He said it would beat anything on the autobahn in the sixties. Even Porsches.

Here's that Caddy... I'll bet it doesn't even get 14MPG...

“The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Yeah, I watch Top Gear on BBCA and that's where I get that bit of info on the Lambo and other vehicles that are not really meant for American roads. BBC, does that make me a snob? Well if it does then I'll take it and just say screw all y'all suckers! LOL (imagine that coming from Britney Spears OK, y'all?)

Yeah, seen the V8 conversions and that kind of ruins the balance of the lowly Beetle for my tastes.
    Other cars would have to be a Buick Opel GT.
    Early 70's Buick Rivera, the one with that weird rear window.
    Corvair, GTO, 911, Camaro 68-70, 69 Stingray, most any convertible is nice on a pretty day.

already owned a 74 beetle with some mild engine work done. quick ,fun, and did as well off road as on.
    already owned a 74 caddy sedan deville with the small engine for the year. it only had the 472 ci motor. owned it in the early 90's and had fun eating mustang gt's for breakfast.
    unlimited money and any car i wanted? cant pick just one. too many good ones. ok maybe one of the factory 1968 426 hemi dodge darts.

a yankee living in the hind end of the bible belt
    some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Top Gear is great. I saw the Lambo there but must've missed when they got to the American part. Sometimes I watch Autoweek and once in awhile Car & Driver as well as Road & Track. Then there's the web which seems all but useless when it comes to getting meaningful performance specs...

I thought I was the only one who remembers the Opel. Nice cars. Almost got one in High School but I really had the hots for the Triumph Spitfire.
    --Philip K. Dick

Yeah, I watch Top Gear on BBCA and that's where I get that bit of info on the Lambo and other vehicles that are not really meant for American roads. BBC, does that make me a snob? Well if it does then I'll take it and just say screw all y'all suckers! LOL (imagine that coming from Britney Spears OK, y'all?)

Yeah, seen the V8 conversions and that kind of ruins the balance of the lowly Beetle for my tastes.
    Other cars would have to be a Buick Opel GT.
    Early 70's Buick Rivera, the one with that weird rear window.
    Corvair, GTO, 911, Camaro 68-70, 69 Stingray, most any convertible is nice on a pretty day.
    Top Gear rules!!! BBCA does not make anyone a snob.

some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2crk View Post
    already owned a 74 beetle with some mild engine work done. quick ,fun, and did as well off road as on.
    already owned a 74 caddy sedan deville with the small engine for the year. it only had the 472 ci motor. owned it in the early 90's and had fun eating mustang gt's for breakfast.
    unlimited money and any car i wanted? cant pick just one. too many good ones. ok maybe one of the factory 1968 426 hemi dodge darts.
    A Hemi in a Dodge Dart? MADNESS! But then again, who'd know if you removed the decals? Stealth before the word meant anything...
    --Philip K. Dick

Just about any Shelby Cobra (Jet?) with the 427.
    Now that, will help put out any fires in those burning pockets.

Just about any Shelby Cobra (Jet?) with the 427.
    Now that, will help put out any fires in those burning pockets.
    now in a mustang the boss 429 semi hemi was insane.
    it was just a cobra and the 427 cars are insane. the 289 cars are rare as hell
    Last edited by kb2crk; 08-31-2010 at 04:50 AM.