Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the slap chop any good?

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar

Is the slap chop any good?

You know, the one that Billy Mays used to hawk? It DOES look a lot better than the usual vegetable chopper, and there's a street vendor near me that has them periodically. So...Does it last? Is it really as good as Mr. Mays said it is? And does Graty work well?
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Banned
    You mean Vince, right? The shady guy who "slap chops his nuts" ? Shamwow guy?

Anyway... I have a Pampered Chef version of this thing and it is quite handy.

Well sir, that was "hawked" by Vince the Prostitute Popper. It's actually a good design, very cleanable. It does what they say it does.
    The question is, do you love your cutting boards and chef knives or do you just need to cut up a very small handful of small items at a time?
    I say it borders between novelty and useful utensil for single folks or very light eaters.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Well sir, that was "hawked" by Vince the Prostitute Popper. It's actually a good design, very cleanable. It does what they say it does.
    The question is, do you love your cutting boards and chef knives or do you just need to cut up a very small handful of small items at a time?
    I say it borders between novelty and useful utensil for single folks or very light eaters.
    Heh, I was going to add "handy for small jobs." You're right. I usually use it for onion or fresh herbs.

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar
    So I had the guy wrong? Ah...well. Yea, the guy who sez, "You're going to love my nuts" No, I'm not fond of the chopping board and knife, and I don't like my "conventional" chopper. I'm mainly talking about chopping onions. Vince says nobody needs to cry, life's too short. I can just about get an onion sliced and ready for a conventional chopper without the tears -- but when I used to do that with a knife it really made crocodile tears! OK...I'll ask the guy on the street how much?

[edit] Just looked it up. I was thinking of the shamwow guy.
    Last edited by W1GUH; 08-30-2010 at 02:18 PM.
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH View Post
    So I had the guy wrong? Ah...well. Yea, the guy who sez, "You're going to love my nuts" No, I'm not fond of the chopping board and knife, and I don't like my "conventional" chopper. I'm mainly talking about chopping onions. Vince says nobody needs to cry, life's too short. I can just about get an onion sliced and ready for a conventional chopper without the tears -- but when I used to do that with a knife it really made crocodile tears! OK...I'll ask the guy on the street how much?
    If the body doesn't split apart for cleaning then it's not the real deal. Just sayin' yo?

I suggest an ancient design... mezzaluna choppa!

Some have multiple blades...

I have a cheap one... found it at Target.

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post

That thing looks lethal!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    If the body doesn't split apart for cleaning then it's not the real deal. Just sayin' yo?
    Yep. Splitting apart makes it really easy to clean. And perfect for onions, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post

I used the single blade original version to finely chop mulukhiyah as a child starting at age 8. We converted a large piece of butcher block just for the job as it was chopped right away in bulk as soon as we harvested it. It was a big job and I was paid 25 cents to chop it all down to about a bushel when all's said and done.