Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GPS Issues

Underneath the Atomic Ooze of Hanford, WA

GPS Issues

Anyone having trouble with their GPS?

I was driving through eastern Nevada yesterday and my Garmin Nuvi started going whacky. I-80 through Nevada is a straight shot to California, but the GPS kept telling me to turn off bridges and drive to nowhere. Finally, it said "poor satellite reception" and was offline for about 20 miles.

The GPS did the same thing on I-80 after Truckee in California.

My friend N6LDP reported the same problem with his GPS in eastern Alameda County. Larry said something about a predicted GPS outage in 2010 that he read about somewhere. Something to do with with lining up the satellites.

Anyone know anything about this?
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q275/nx6d/ham%20radio/SANY1260.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by nx6d View Post
    I-80 through Nevada is a straight shot to California, but the GPS kept telling me to turn off bridges and drive to nowhere.
    ...first thing I'd do is stop singing in the car.
    No...haven't heard anything. But, I've been wondering if this solar cycle peak (CME's, etc) are going to have any effect on consumer grade GPS type devices?
    This will be the first peak after a decade of explosive growth in compact computer appliances designed to fill the minute by minute needs of individuals.

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

Quote Originally Posted by ki4itv View Post
    ...first thing I'd do is stop singing in the car.
    No...haven't heard anything. But, I've been wondering if this solar cycle peak (CME's, etc) are going to have any effect on consumer grade GPS type devices?
    This will be the first peak after a decade of explosive growth in compact computer appliances designed to fill the minute by minute needs of individuals.
    How about the explosive growth in Winlink? Should be more fun than a barrel of orangutans.
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

Quote Originally Posted by ad4mg View Post
    How about the explosive growth in Winlink? Should be more fun than a barrel of orangutans.
    I've dubbed this time "The Awakening". Very curious as to how this plays out as the brutal massacre of narrow band modes ensues relentlessly.

There. ...and not one cuss-word. How about that.

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

It all went down the drain when they abolished CW.

See what happens to the GPS satellites....

"If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Been running the GPS here quite a lot the last few days -- haven't noticed any problems...

Banned
    Hello.

I have a dual mode GPS/GLONASS unit that has been switching to the Russian side lately.
    This has been the first period in time for this.
    Just checked, 72 hour period, 6 times it has switched to GLONASS.

it is the evil winlink and echolink screwing up the GPS satelites. we need to put all comunications back to CW asap.

a yankee living in the hind end of the bible belt
    some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

I have a NUVI that is less than a year old. This is my second and last Garmin. What a piece of SHIT !!!! It takes forever to boot up, it drops the signal often, and will run you through the hood anytime it can. And it freezes up.
    "Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

Quote Originally Posted by NA4BH View Post
    I have a NUVI that is less than a year old. This is my second and last Garmin. What a piece of SHIT !!!! It takes forever to boot up, it drops the signal often, and will run you through the hood anytime it can. And it freezes up.
    But does it speak to you with the voice of a very sultry woman?