Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: I can't watch videos any more

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    State of Americisraelia
    Posts
    11,306

    I can't watch videos any more

    with out them pausing every 15 seconds. What would cause this? Is my memory all used up? How can I do a memory test on windows 7 on an HP laptop?

    Been a problem for many weeks now.
    tnx jty

  2. #2
    "Island Bartender" KG4CGC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    EM84ru, Easley SC
    Posts
    47,796
    Quote Originally Posted by kc7jty View Post
    with out them pausing every 15 seconds. What would cause this? Is my memory all used up? How can I do a memory test on windows 7 on an HP laptop?

    Been a problem for many weeks now.
    tnx jty
    I would be suspicious of your ISP if you are sure the problem is not with your machine.

  3. #3
    Pope Carlo l K6BSO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Maritime Mobile
    Posts
    29,064
    Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    I would be suspicious of your ISP if you are sure the problem is not with your machine.
    I second that--they may be throttling your throughput. Are you on Comcast, by any chance?
    My Dearest Karma
    I have a very long list
    Of people you’ve missed.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    State of Americisraelia
    Posts
    11,306
    I ran a memory check and passed. Since it hit both my machines at the same time I'm attributing it to my chicken shit road runner light service from Time Warner Cable.
    I've been having connection lost problems with them too. Time to call 'em and pitch a bitch.

  5. #5
    "Island Bartender" KG4CGC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    EM84ru, Easley SC
    Posts
    47,796
    My ISP claimed I was guilty of suspicious downloading. OK, whatever that means. Our connection was throttled back and I complained. In 2007 there were a few sites offering free music without the need for P2P software and I took advantage of some free trial periods. ISP (Charter) was in Sony's back pocket and if you use their F-Secure, they know what you are doing. At least they think they do because they claimed I was using Limewire and they have been known to let Sony anally rape Charter customers for using P2P software.

  6. #6
    Island Godfather NA4BH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,933
    Find one of those speedtest sites.
    "Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

    NA4BH '15

  7. #7
    Administrator ad4mg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    14,208
    Quote Originally Posted by NA4BH View Post
    Find one of those speedtest sites.
    http://www.speedtest.net/

    Just pick a server close to your location!

  8. #8
    Volcano Tamer KJ3N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    A secret cave in northern Delaware.
    Posts
    9,024
    Quote Originally Posted by ad4mg View Post
    http://www.speedtest.net/

    Just pick a server close to your location!
    23.77 Mb/s down
    4.51 Mb/s up
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

    "If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX



    Latest ClubLog entries.

  9. #9
    Volcano Tamer kf0rt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Denver 'burbs
    Posts
    11,068
    Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    My ISP claimed I was guilty of suspicious downloading. OK, whatever that means. Our connection was throttled back and I complained. In 2007 there were a few sites offering free music without the need for P2P software and I took advantage of some free trial periods. ISP (Charter) was in Sony's back pocket and if you use their F-Secure, they know what you are doing. At least they think they do because they claimed I was using Limewire and they have been known to let Sony anally rape Charter customers for using P2P software.
    Got a buddy whose wife's home business account was shut down by Comcast for bit-torrenting a couple movies. All he could get on the net was a redirect to a "contact us" page. He called them and got a minor lecture about piracy. After promising to "not do it again" they turned everything back on. I use bit-torrent stuff rarely these days. Comcast just called me a couple weeks ago and gave me a faster connection + Cinemax for $5/mo. The whores! We seem to use about 20-30GB of bandwidth a month, and they don't limit on bandwidth until you hit 250GB.

    I avoid Sony products anymore... They're no longer a consumer friendly company - haven't been for some time.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On an Island of Islands, EL09sl
    Posts
    4,985
    Hello.

    I am on AT&T and SBC internet, one is DSL and the other is dial-up.
    I also have university access, a point to point microwave system.
    Even on dial-up I can watch some movies.
    And, Sony has had issues with piracy.
    Nintendo has refused to release the FamaCom in the Americas market, citing piracy.
    Sony has released all kinds of anti-piracy gadgets, from the Betamax to the UMD for the PSP.
    Yet the amazing thing about all of this is that Sony was at the tail end of this just a few years ago.
    When the VCR came out there was question about the rights to tape a TV production, and Sony did everything to argue for the rights of the public.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •