Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a recipe for Penne a la vodka

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar

Looking for a recipe for Penne a la vodka

Or, for that matter a nice tomato cream sauce. I've got one recipe that's good, but not excellent; doesn't have that really creamy and sweet taste I'm looking for.

Or should I do the garlic like Paulie (I think) in Goodfellas -- slice it thin with a Gem blade?
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Take it straight from a Guinea: garlic is best crushed either with the side of a knife blade or with a press. That's how you get the real goodness out of it. That thin-slice thing is strictly Hollywood.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Take it straight from a Guinea: garlic is best crushed either with the side of a knife blade or with a press. That's how you get the real goodness out of it. That thin-slice thing is strictly Hollywood.
    Glad to hear that. I use a press - a lot easier than paper thin slices! Thanks!

I like to dice it but that's just because I have mad knife skillz! Boshizzle yo?
    How much time do you have to prep? Are you going to stew the tomatoes from fresh?
    I don't know what constitutes a large stock pot at your house but let's try this:
    Let's say you pot is 4 or 5 quarts.
    Make the normal tomato sauce recipe of you choice but first, chop, crush, squish all your garlic. Pour between 100ml to 150ml of vodka into a cup. Add your prepared garlic to it and leave it there until the last 10 minutes of heated cook time. OK, 10 minutes before turning off the heat (or before you set it to just barely heat, lowest setting simmer) add you garlic and vodka.
    Continue as usual.

Don't bother with tomatoes or any of that other stuff. With enough vodka, you can just eat the penne like pretzels. Cooking them takes so long...
    73 de Albi

Veritas vos liberabit!

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us." --- Jean-Paul Sartre.

"Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past." --- George Orwell.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    I like to dice it but that's just because I have mad knife skillz! Boshizzle yo?
    How much time do you have to prep? Are you going to stew the tomatoes from fresh?
    I don't know what constitutes a large stock pot at your house but let's try this:
    Let's say you pot is 4 or 5 quarts.
    Make the normal tomato sauce recipe of you choice but first, chop, crush, squish all your garlic. Pour between 100ml to 150ml of vodka into a cup. Add your prepared garlic to it and leave it there until the last 10 minutes of heated cook time. OK, 10 minutes before turning off the heat (or before you set it to just barely heat, lowest setting simmer) add you garlic and vodka.
    Continue as usual.
    Aha!!! I think you nailed it -- the part about marinating the garlic in the vodka. I've been cooking the garlic in oil before adding the tomatoes, and I think I've been over-cooking it. The next time I make it I'll use your method. Thank you very, very much!!!

Albi -- your solution is the best possible, although I'd probably substitute JD for the vodka!

Undisclosed solar powered burrow in Southern Maryland
    Quote Originally Posted by W3MIV View Post
    Don't bother with tomatoes or any of that other stuff. With enough vodka, you can just eat the penne like pretzels. Cooking them takes so long...
    Bingo... Just go for the Wodka and have the XYL toss out a box of penne like hubbie kibble. <krunch-krunch-krack-krunch>

I can tell you that uncooked cup-o-noodle or a oodles of noodles block is pretty intertaining when yer fubar!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Bunnie
    Its 4'oclock in the morning!!! What the hell are you still doing on the couch and WTF is this all over the floor...is that dried noodles?!?!
    Last edited by w3bny; 08-24-2010 at 12:03 PM.
    Yeah...I'm a furry...Deal with it!

1/4 lb. diced pancetta (Italian bacon), do not substitute
    1/4 c. butter
    1/3 c. vodka
    1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    1 lb. penne pasta
    1 1/2 c. heavy cream
    1 1/2 c. tomato sauce

Melt the butter in a large frying pan. When the butter foams, add the diced pancetta. When the pancetta browns slightly (takes 2 to 3 minutes), add the vodka and stir.
    After the alcohol burns off, stir in the tomato sauce and cream (the alcohol only takes a minute or two to burn off). Stir continuously for 5 - 8 minutes. Place drained pasta into frying pan, add Parmesan cheese, and mix thoroughly for about 2 minutes.
    73 de Keith
    'Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself.'
    --Mark Twain

1 lb. Penne pasta
    1/2 stick butter
    3 cloves garlic, chopped
    6 to 7 scallions, chopped
    2 cans tomato sauce (15 oz. total)
    1/3 c. vodka
    1/4 c. heavy cream
    Basil, oregano and pepper to taste

Saute chopped garlic and scallions over low flame with butter. Add tomato sauce, vodka and spices. Let come to boil and simmer 45 minutes. Add heavy cream; cook 10 minutes. Put water up for pasta.
    73 de Keith
    'Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself.'
    --Mark Twain

For reference, this is the recipe I've been using.

I like the fresh basil & the for the next attempt I'm not going to cook the garlic, instead I'll do the "marinate it in the vodka" method.