Thread: Using the iPhone

Using the iPhone

Work assigned me my new phone, and it's a 16GB iPhone.

Gosh all fish hooks, this thing is pretty decent!

:monkeydance:
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

3G or the new 4G? Must be 3G if it's only 16GB and you can make a phone call on it.

Wifey and I have 3G iPod Touch's. Fun gee-gaws; basically an iPhone without the phone, camera or GPS. They are pretty slick.

3G, we lowly techie types with dirty hands don't get the fancy ones.

FWIW, it's better integrated with Outlook than Windows Mobile.

We are not "wide open" for apps, but if we request one or more, it will be reviewed and maybe tested before a green light.

Unless it's free, then they don't really care, and it will probably be "allowed". There's maybe twenty of us, Ops and IT mostly.

I'm quietly championing the install methods from a Mac or PC, but the popular habit of calling it "hacking" "unlocking" of "jail breaking" freaks the hell out of the management types that don't understand... they think it's not secure. But the new "rules" about unlocking and such may develop a better atmosphere.

Meh, I don't care, it's their phone, and I already like it better than the AT&T Tilt I had before.

I hear ya....

Cheap Tracfone still works here, and I rue the day that "work" puts me on such a pocket leash.

Ever considered the Pavlovian human response to a ringing phone? It's bizarre, I tell ya! I'm quietly championing the thought that we make our own dungeons.

My personal oldskool Razr will dump incoming to voicemail with a double click on the bluetooth.

I don't even look to see who's calling... see ya! Or, better yet, the phone is off.

3G or 3GS?

I've had a iPhone 3G since they first came out. I love it, but be careful--they are a bit on the fragile side. Buy a silicone case for it, avoid putting it in a pants pocket and be sure to put it somewhere safe before you do any sort of work where you're going to have to lean over machinery, furniture or the like. If you work an office job, it will probably be okay but if you're like me and do a rougher, more physical kind of work, you'll need to watch out for it
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

SK Member (Late April, 2019) W4RLR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    3G or 3GS?

I've had a iPhone 3G since they first came out. I love it, but be careful--they are a bit on the fragile side. Buy a silicone case for it, avoid putting it in a pants pocket and be sure to put it somewhere safe before you do any sort of work where you're going to have to lean over machinery, furniture or the like. If you work an office job, it will probably be okay but if you're like me and do a rougher, more physical kind of work, you'll need to watch out for it
    Two words: Otter Box
    73 de Richard W4RLR
    Southern born,
    Southern bred, centrist conservative.
    Posting messages via HughesNet satellite internet.

Retired U.S. Air Force NCO
    Member, Sons of Confederate Veterans
    The Ancient Order of Turtles
    ARRL, SPAR, Six Meters Worldwide, Chattanooga ARC
    ARRL Accredited VE

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    3G, we lowly techie types with dirty hands don't get the fancy ones.

I'm quietly championing the install methods from a Mac or PC, but the popular habit of calling it "hacking" "unlocking" of "jail breaking" freaks the hell out of the management types that don't understand... they think it's not secure. But the new "rules" about unlocking and such may develop a better atmosphere.
    The web-based jailbreak isn't all that secure. It doesn't change the passwords for the two accounts that need to be changed; root and mobile.

Right now, not that big of a deal. Someday, it will be a big deal.