Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First impression of Windows 7...

First impression of Windows 7...

... that it sucks. I am running XP in Windows classic mode, and did not like the wasted space, arrangement, and the lack of Classic mode look and feel. Looks like I will looking into LINUX now, from what I seen in screen shots, looks like my kind of arrangements.

For short term, I would like to have a multi-boot system or using the virtual boxes. The Mac OS is not (that I know) supported on virtual machines, but I have seen Mac's partitioned to multi-boot Mac OS, LINUX, and Windows.

Potential Candidate:
    http://www.pcconnectionexpress.com/I...cac=BrandsItem

Has anyone here done this?

Orca Whisperer
    That's actually surprising (That you hated Win 7). Win 7 was the first time I reconsidered going back to Windows. It actually ran better on my Netbook than XP, especially when I used one of the SD slots as "RAM Booster".
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Just some random comments...

From everything I can tell, that particular Mac Mini lacks an optical drive. Plan on spending another $50-$70 for a decent dual-layer external DVD drive.
    http://www.apple.com/macmini/server/specs.html

My impression is that unless you're really hooked on OSX or Apple hardware for one reason or another, it's an expensive way to go. You can build a very competent PC with about the same specs for a lot less. Although it violates Apple's licensing, there are a lot of folks who are now running OSX on PC's.

Seems to me that the current version of OSX is a whole lot more like Windows 7 than Windows XP. Curious why you're interested in OSX, Paul.

The Mac Mini is a pretty sweet little box, though. They sure cram a lot of stuff in not much space. I've had a low-end Mac Mini since late last year (doesn't get used a lot) -- got it set up through a pair of IOGear KVM switches so I can switch my dual-monitor setup between the PC and the Mac.

Oh, and I LOVE Win 7.

Windows 7 has impressed me so far, was using it at work 6 months ago. Direct X 11 provides impressive eye candy. I've gotten quite spoiled with the improvements in the command line interface which started with Vista. But Vista wasn't worth the upgrade, except for the Media Center stuff.

Since a lot of the dissatisfaction is the interface "look and feel"... this may work for you:

Go Retro: Get XP Themes for Windows 7

Remember Royale Blue, Luna, Luna Silver and even the Zune XP desktop themes? Those feeling nostalgic for XP’s old-school looks may be interested to know that all of these have been ported, unofficially of course, to the Windows 7 platform. Over on the independent design community DeviantArt, a user by the name of “Satukoro” has been hard at work delivering versions of these themes to Windows 7 in both Aero and Basic formats.
    P.S.

I Windows 7 too!

:rofl:
    Last edited by WØTKX; 07-17-2010 at 05:31 PM.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

I'm waiting on another 6GB of RAM before I investigate Win 7. I'm going to try and make it behave in a multi-boot situation with eCS 2.0 and either Ubuntu, or Mandriva.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    I'm waiting on another 6GB of RAM before I investigate Win 7. I'm going to try and make it behave in a multi-boot situation with eCS 2.0 and either Ubuntu, or Mandriva.
    Mandriva? Are you sick in the head? :)

I think Microsoft has a winner with Windows 7. I only occasionally use it, but I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by W4GPL View Post
    Mandriva? Are you sick in the head? :)
    When Ubuntu stops giving me a hard time with the OS/2 Boot Manager, I'll use it. Until then....
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

I'll stick with Fedora.. aside from the fact that once you install the latest version its time to upgrade to the next version.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

What do you think?
    http://www.apple.com/macmini/design.html

Now, imagine running Mac, LINUX, Windows XP, with Windows98SE using virtualbox? There is help/discussion on the net for triple boot... anyone try it?