Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSL, static IP addresses, and computer servers

DSL, static IP addresses, and computer servers

I have a new internet provider, ATT DSL, and have one of theirs plans that offers 6Mbps download capability, for $25/month.

After 12 months, it reverts back to the pricing schedule:
    $30 for 1.5Mbps
    $35 for 3Mbps
    $40 for 6 Mbps

I am running CAT 5e from the phone box to the data filter. dslreports.com speed test indicates I am averaging around 2.5Mbps download, 625 Kbps upload.

The ip address is dynamic.

After one year, I have some choices to make. There is a local DSL isp that will provide service, alternative to AT&T. It is 99main.com, and their offering is $40/month for 1.5Mbps download and a static IP address.

So I am thinking - static IP, maybe it would be something to look at, static IP for Echolink, and maybe to put up a computer to act as a web/email server.

Am I thinking right here?

So, what OS should I use (I think I will be hearing LINUX...) and what software do I need?
    Router settings?
    Then when service is place, point a domain address to my static IP...

Am I on the right track? Host my own Email service?
    How about a phpbb3 blog site?

Will 1.5Mbps be fast enough?

Also add on a chat service...

I would also need Windows emulation to run some custom programs I have too... Net-aware types...

Orca Whisperer
    Easy answer first: I would recommend Linux for any front-facing service. Be it web, ssh, telnet, or anything else. For the stack, Ubuntu Server + LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP); which is what most web packages use. For remote admin, openssh server.

For the pointing, it's as easy as you said. You create an "A" record pointing the domain to your IP address. Can you run email? Maybe, you'll need to look at the TOS. Same with any other service you run. Typically, it's business class customers only who can run servers from their line.

Is it fast enough? Depends on traffic. I know one smallish webhoster who runs about 70 sites on their 1.5 DSL line, and it's peachy keen. For a blog, or a smallish-medium forum, it would work great. I did so for about a year prior to Verizon getting smart, and turning off port 80 :)

Do you need a static IP? That's something only you can answer. You don't need one for EchoLink. For a webserver, you don't need one, per se, but it's a pain to not have. And just the static IP doesn't mean you are allowed to run services. Read the fine print from the TOS.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by N1LAF View Post
    I would also need Windows emulation to run some custom programs I have too... Net-aware types...
    Which apps? If you plan on serving a website or something like that, a dedicated box for just that would be best.

What's their TOS say about running servers on their lines? Most "home" ISP's don't allow it (but many users do it anyway).

Static IP: May not be a big deal. I'm on a DHCP service with Comcast and have had the same IP for-evah.

I do all my "hosting" stuff offsite -- probably not the best option if you want to play with stuff, but it's pretty cheap to rent it all, get some *serious* speed and let someone else hassle with the DNS stuff. And, they got 24/7 staff to keep it all running. :)

Underneath the Atomic Ooze of Hanford, WA
    hey, good to see you back, Paul.

Sarah and I are in Tulelake right now and just hooked up the intertubes.

Got laid off 6/30 and looking for employment.
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q275/nx6d/ham%20radio/SANY1260.jpg

Hi Dave, good to see you, and sorry to hear about the layoff..

The TOS does not make any prohibition to: http://99main.com/tos.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by kf0rt View Post
    What's their TOS say about running servers on their lines? Most "home" ISP's don't allow it (but many users do it anyway).

Static IP: May not be a big deal. I'm on a DHCP service with Comcast and have had the same IP for-evah.

I do all my "hosting" stuff offsite -- probably not the best option if you want to play with stuff, but it's pretty cheap to rent it all, get some *serious* speed and let someone else hassle with the DNS stuff. And, they got 24/7 staff to keep it all running. :)
    DSL often uses PPPoE, which almost guarantees a new IP address with each reconnect. However, a using a hostname with a really short TTL works pretty well for these sort of applications. If it's not a commercial service that he's offering, the static IP is probably a waste.

And my experience with ISP TOS is they use them to cover their ass, they don't actually care if you do a little bit of hosting. Though some do block standard inbound ports such as 80, 25, 21..

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by N1LAF View Post
    Hi Dave, good to see you, and sorry to hear about the layoff..

The TOS does not make any prohibition to: http://99main.com/tos.shtml
    This is the part that can bite you:
    "Do not use the service for inappropriate commercial use. The personal accounts that are available to subscribers are designed for non-commercial, casual use. If a more extensive plan is needed to meet certain business requirements, subscribers are asked to contact the 99main support staff for help."

ISP's have a funny way of determining non-commercial, like Verizon says remote access is "commercial"...