Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best HF rig in the 100-400 dollar range?

Best HF rig in the 100-400 dollar range?

Starting to shop around for my next HF rig. Sold my Icom 737 a couple years ago when money was tight and have regretted it ever since. I loved that machine.

Been thinking of a Kenwood rig. The 140-520 series are affordable and have a great track record.

Any other models I should consider? About the only thing is that the new rig has to be easy to use with the digital modes such as RTTY and PSK. I seem to have the most fun on HF in those modes. Antarctica on 15 watts was fun.
    "The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." - George Orwell

If you don't care about CAT control... serial control of the rigs frequency, etc, you'll be OK at that price range. Used the Ten Tec Omni D that way, just soundcard I/O. Keeping track of your frequency is a little trickier. $300 for a nice one. Some of the older Kenwoods have an optional interface that needs to be installed, and you might make it at that price. $400

Up the $ to $5-600 and it's much easier. A used Icom 718 comes to mind. A lot more choices. It's OK, you've been a good boy, eh?.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Orca Whisperer
    I'm biased, but my FT-840 does exactly what you need, and it was $300.

And, there are a couple of pretty decent HF rigs here:http://lara.hamgate.net/swapnet/swapnet.html
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Will probably go the 500-600 range before it is all said and done. Wife agreed to 400, but I am sure I can negotiate a deal or two for more. :)
    "The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." - George Orwell

That's the ticket!

Quote Originally Posted by al2n View Post
    Will probably go the 500-600 range before it is all said and done. Wife agreed to 400, but I am sure I can negotiate a deal or two for more. :)
    Been seeing quite a few semi-used FT-450 and even FT-450AT's in that range recently. People love them but why so many for sale if they are so good?

Stay away from Kenwoods prior to the 570 unless you want to let Fred go over them. The 130's through the 430S's have a certain problem with the dampening material used under the main CPU.

Now if you want to get into an old school hybrid rig ...............

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Stay away from Kenwoods prior to the 570 unless you want to let Fred go over them. The 130's through the 430S's have a certain problem with the dampening material used under the main CPU.

Now if you want to get into an old school hybrid rig ...............
    True of the 430 and the 440.

The 130, on the other hand, is a wonderful little radio...with none of the synthesizer issues which plague its later cousins. It is also rugged as heck.

I have one of these to use with mine:

And a matching tuner:

Expect to pay around $300 for a fully loaded example, and anywhere between $100-200 for the DFC-230 synthesizer...which IMHO is well worth it.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

If you want bare-bones but robust, look at one of the following:

An entire station - rig, matching PSU and tuner - can be had for ~$500.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Do either of those support CAT control, and what's supported?