Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 Meters

6 Meters

Believe it or not, my entire Ham career I've never had 6m capability from the house. Always put HF first and never put a whole lot of thought into 6 other than tuning up whatever I had in the air. However last night I had a hankering to try the magic band, and remembered that I had a VHF/UHF vertical in the attic with a run of RG-213 to my shack. I hardly get on VHF/UHF anymore so I took the vertical down and replaced it with a dipole. Since I've put it up, I have heard at least 5-10 stations on CW constantly. Made 8 CW contacts since I put it up last night around 9!

Now that I can finally play on 6, I'm ready for a big opening!

A few hours ago, I made about 18 ssb contacts NY, NJ, CT, Mn, SD, WA, OR, KS, IA, Ws, Neb, and others. I could hear both sides of the qso's as well. Im EM89 near Dayton. 10FM is hot as well. Central Mex, and Canary Islands coming into the NYC repeaters.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

6 meter open here in Europe for days now, as is 10/12 etc.
    Contest going on so quite busy..
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Dug out the transverter... worked a few contacts QRP with a poopy little vertical antenna. Band is wild with signal. Neato!
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Dayum! Just sat on 50.092 for about 20 minutes and made 17 contacts, calling CQ with my dipole. Most gave me pretty solid signal reports, I guess my piss-weak set-up isn't so weak!

This is why it's called the magic band. :)

Quote Originally Posted by KU0DM View Post
    Dayum! Just sat on 50.092 for about 20 minutes and made 17 contacts, calling CQ with my dipole. Most gave me pretty solid signal reports, I guess my piss-weak set-up isn't so weak!
    The way to cool part of the magic band is that when open, all you need is qrp and a wet noodle for ant. I operate qrp on 6. The noise floor is much less than the HF bands. Since analog tv signals went qrt, the noise threshold is even lower.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Undisclosed solar powered burrow in Southern Maryland
    Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    This is why it's called the magic band. :)
    Yeah... Now you see it...now you dont!
    Yeah...I'm a furry...Deal with it!

Tiki Bearer
    What kind of of antenna can I build with 14 gauge wire for 6m that has gain characteristics?
    "We look at the present through a rear-view mirror. We march backwards into the future." -- Marshall McLuhan

EDZ doublet, Moxon, Lazy H? Stacked loops work well.

PVC pipe is quite useful for smaller antennas.