Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad News for Good DX

Bad News for Good DX

If these scientist are correct, it may be awhile.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37705466...ace/?gt1=43001

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Solar period a little irregular?

A Saturn V full of progesterone will remedy that.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

The Sun Goddess loves us, and is preparing another period like the Maunder Minimum, to save us from global warming.

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Solar period a little irregular?

A Saturn V full of progesterone will remedy that.
    You stole my face right off my head.

Quote Originally Posted by suddenseer View Post
    If these scientist are correct, it may be awhile.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37705466...ace/?gt1=43001
    Define "awhile" and for what band(s). The reason I say that is because there's no shortage of DX on 20m and below. At least, that's my observation.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    Define "awhile" and for what band(s). The reason I say that is because there's no shortage of DX on 20m and below. At least, that's my observation.
    I agree. I was thinking about the peak before the last one. I understand that was not as strong as past cycles. I was born on the year of the greatest one, so I read. I am remembering when I was on 10M mobile using the baby Tentec that had the plug in modules. That day, I was in ssb qso with Tom Christian VR6TC from the Pitcarin Islands. When I unkeyed the mic, I heard the last few seconds of my transmission. That is not the occasional sporadic E we get now. I also love the magic band. The last cycle, I made many qrp cw contacts to Europe, and Africa, S.America. That was not the summer time Es we get now on 6M. I never operated that much on the lower bands except around 3.5 mhz. or the novice slow code net. I do not even know if they do that anymore. 20M has always been too crowded for me. Before my tribander blew down, I did work some qrp on 14 Mhz. From what I read on the article, the expected peak of the next cycle may be dismal. Assuming the next cycle is better, we may have to wait 1.5 cycles for those wonderful conditions to return.
    Last edited by suddenseer; 06-16-2010 at 07:26 PM. Reason: fat fingers

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Underneath the Atomic Ooze of Hanford, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    That's because you live in Delaware. It's amazing what a good 2x1 call from a small state does to your signal strength.

When I had WX7P I was pretty large and in charge because the DX thought I might be from Nevada, Idaho or Wyoming. When I got W6PV, the DX mysteriously went away...
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q275/nx6d/ham%20radio/SANY1260.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by nx6d View Post
    That's because you live in Delaware. It's amazing what a good 2x1 call from a small state does to your signal strength.

When I had WX7P I was pretty large and in charge because the DX thought I might be from Nevada, Idaho or Wyoming. When I got W6PV, the DX mysteriously went away...
    The first time I heard a 2x1 call that started with an A. I was soooooo excited. I thought I snagged some rare dx that I could not find on the map. When I started in the hobby, every call was K, or W.

cul de n8tb

Quote Originally Posted by nx6d View Post
    Nobody knows where I am in a contest. They don't have time to bother looking it up and since I use my club call during those contests, they have even less of a clue. ;)

Did I also mention that I typically use only 100 watts when I am doing a contest? :-P

DXpeditions don't really know where I am either. As far as they're concerned, I'm "just another 3 call".

Serves you right for changing the call. Nobody wants to work another 6-lander. :-P ;)
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Nobody wants to work another 6-lander.
    I know that's right.
    LOL!