Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whatever VHF contest is going on right now...

Whatever VHF contest is going on right now...

Jump on 6M and work it. The band is crazy open to everywhere!
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Funny how bands open up when people decide to use them.

Whatever VHF contest is going on right now...
    http://www.arrl.org/june-vhf-qso-party
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by W4GPL View Post
    11M is crazy nuts as well...but very little activity on 10 at the moment. Go figure.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    11M is crazy nuts as well...but very little activity on 10 at the moment. Go figure.
    "It's crazy go nuts, dahling!"

"People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by W4GPL View Post
    This past weekend was a "smirk"contest.I logged over 100 ssb. The band was beautiful. I never understood a dead quiet band that snaps to life for a contest. 10M FM was hot as well. Canary islands, and West African coast, and Central Mex booming into the New York repeaters. The NYC users were linked to VHF/UHF bands, so they were mostly having dx qso's with walkie talkies. I look at it like working the repeater. I have been qsl'd by operators whom I hsd chatted with via repeater. I only send one back if the qso was on simplex.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Finally got on six for this season, working QRP with my 2m to 5m transverter... CQ, QRP! I ran it mellow. about 3-4 watts dead carrier, 40 foot run of LMR... maybe 2 watts ERP? No "real DX", but talked to a bunch of VE's from Wiinnepeg to BC. Most of my contacts were NW of me. I may have to yoink the 857 out of the car. Heard a LOT of digital modes and CW.

Last night I hung in there on 20, and got into a "DX ragchew" with VK4KKD, the famous Kev in Oz... and stations all over NA... we couldn't hear each other all the time
    stateside, so Kev was relaying comments... propagation gone wild! I dropped to 30 watts PEP and he still had me at 5x3, I disappeared at QRP. This was about 11PM MDT.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    Finally got on six for this season, working QRP with my 2m to 5m transverter... CQ, QRP! I ran it mellow. about 3-4 watts dead carrier, 40 foot run of LMR... maybe 2 watts ERP?
    If you're losing half your power in 40 feet of LMR, it's pretty crappy LMR. I don't get even 1db of loss in a 40 foot run of RG-8U @ 50Mhz.

Latest ClubLog entries.

Well, I have connectors and switches inline too, and they are not "N".
    Closer to three watts, really, keeping the transverter cool. Wanted
    to make sure I was QRP.

Still too gimpy to climb up a ladder and check it out at the antenna feedpoint.

I'll let ya know, OK?
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    Well, I have connectors and switches inline too, and they are not "N".
    Closer to three watts, really, keeping the transverter cool. Wanted
    to make sure I was QRP.

Still too gimpy to climb up a ladder and check it out at the antenna feedpoint.

I'll let ya know, OK?
    I thought I had weird stuff going on. I went outside and discovered that I severed my ground strap to the copper rod driven in the groud with the weedwacker.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger