Thread: Laptop touchpad sensitivity...

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar

Laptop touchpad sensitivity...

Sometimes when messing with Google Earth on this laptop the touchpad will behave as if the right button is pressed. What happens is after I've zoomed in or out with the right button, the computer will think that the right button is still pressed and put a tiny scroll icon on the screen and zoom instead of pan. I haven't been able to determine what's causing that but it appears that maybe the touch pad is pressure sensitive? Only thing I can figure out. :chin:

Anyone know how to turn off this "feature"?
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Usually that appears here on my desktop when I press the "scroll" button on the mouse . I'm not sure how the touch-pad interprets signals , but you should be able to cancel the "cursor scrolling" by clicking either mouse button once . There may be a way to disable it in the setup menu . Others may have something more specific .
    I won't question your Creator's wisdom , but you are responsible for your own actions .

Russ, W5RB

This may not be a problem for you, but if I get greasy kid stuff on my touch pad it acts erratic. Clean it, and it's good again.
    My older Dell work laptop is like that. This is why I'm a fan if the eraser head "pointer" on laptop keyboards.
    New work laptop is also a Dell, no eraser head. But the touch pad works a LOT better... dunno if it will get dirty.

Prefer touch pads, pointers, and track balls. I'm not a huge mouse fan... older ones get dirty balls.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    This may not be a problem for you, but if I get greasy kid stuff on my touch pad it acts erratic. Clean it, and it's good again.
    My older Dell work laptop is like that. This is why I'm a fan if the eraser head "pointer" on laptop keyboards.
    New work laptop is also a Dell, no eraser head. But the touch pad works a LOT better... dunno if it will get dirty.

Prefer touch pads, pointers, and track balls. I'm not a huge mouse fan... older ones get dirty balls.
    Yea, dirty mouse balls are the scourge of the earth! I much perfer track balls -- they're much easier to use.

Ironically, when I went to "reply with quote", this laptop went into its "Oh! He wants to scroll with the touchpad!" when, in fact, I didn't. Gonna keep searching for how to turn that PITA "feature" off!

And the answer is..

The touchpad is setup to do scrolling when you drag your finger up or down the right side or on the bottom.

From Wiwi

Now that I know what's going on, this is a pretty convenient feature. Guess it's pretty obscure, thogh.

Oh hell, was that all? ;)

I just got me a Bamboo tablet... needed finer resolution than my trackball for Blender 3D and other graphics programs.

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman