Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Woot I got me a boat anchor

Woot I got me a boat anchor

Yeah!!! I finally spent a few bucks of my money and got a boat anchor. My day felt like a CCR song (Who will stop the rain). Then something wonderful happened, the sun came out and before I knew it I was "stepping into the twilight zone" (Golden Earring). What exactly did I find after the rain stopped? Well I found an old HQ-129X (nothing uber special but it is in damn good shape. It was aligned and recaped about 8 months ago and the outside looks new. There is a wee bit of tarnish on the inside but this thing is almost as old as my grandpa so overall it is in great shape. All controls are smooth, the lights are bright, and the S-Meter works.

Why am I in the twilight zone? Well I am listing to some odd amateur radio news but it is more like a story about a guy that had an operation and woke up in the future where radio was illegal or something like that. Im not entierly sure what frequency I am on, lmao....band spread says 7.28 and the but the main tuning dial says about 7.45. Give me a break it has been a long time since I have had my hands on a boat anchor. (At least I know what band Im using. :P)

Morel of the story, I;m happy.

...now for a pair of good headphones cuz these ones suck and I don't like using a speaker. (Now this dude is ranting about facebook and walmart.

Anyway I think it was worth the 150$ I paid for it. :) I have looked on AMfone.net and am seeing between 200-350$ for them. The important part is that I am happy and already have 3 hours of time listening to it.
    Last edited by KB3LAZ; 06-06-2010 at 04:37 PM.

"A night sky full of cries. Hearts filled with lies. The contract: is it worth the price?"

SK Member (12/2/2011)
    Cngrats!!! The 129X is one of my favorites for listening to amateur AM. Not very selective but that's one of the reasons why AM sounds so good on it.

Quote Originally Posted by N4VGB View Post
    Cngrats!!! The 129X is one of my favorites for listening to amateur AM. Not very selective but that's one of the reasons why AM sounds so good on it.
    It is a touchy little bugger though. CW sounds fantastic on it IMO. Though for AM I should be able to get a better test drive later on tonight or early in the AM. Not much on now other than a few hams on 40 and a few broadcasts. Though as I said there is one hell of a goofy news program on.

"A night sky full of cries. Hearts filled with lies. The contract: is it worth the price?"

Congrats!

This is the '215 I told you about today, BTW:

"Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Congrats!

This is the '215 I told you about today, BTW:

That is a unique looking bugger.

Heh after a few hours at the controls I got my sea legs back and am having no problem pulling in multiple stations. Though I think I need to find a good pair of high impedance headphones cuz the ones I have for my newer gear sound just awful with this receiver and my older ones which are amplified are a bit better but damn they blow my ear drums out even with the AF gain low and the volume setting on one on the headphones.

Get creative with the outboard audio. It can be done. It can be done.

I'll be damned, I am peaking under the hood of this thing and it says made in NY, U.S.A.

Hum..manual says 11 tubes but I count 10..pesky bugger is hiding from me.

Forum Addict
    Real radios glow in the dark.

SK Member (12/2/2011)
    Quote Originally Posted by KB3LAZ View Post
    I'll be damned, I am peaking under the hood of this thing and it says made in NY, U.S.A.

Hum..manual says 11 tubes but I count 10..pesky bugger is hiding from me.
    ??? All of 'em are in plain sight, none are hidden.