Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mini-Rant: Try A Dummy Load!

Witch Doctor

Mini-Rant: Try A Dummy Load!

Deleted
    Last edited by WN9HJW; 08-03-2013 at 09:13 AM.

Orca Whisperer
    After my last radio problem (20 meter power folding back) I have to agree. My first leaning towards figuring out the solution was transmitting into a dummy load (And getting full power).

It's one of those "elimination of variables" things. Troubleshooting a problem relies on eliminating variables, and a dummy load allows one to eliminate the coax and antenna (Or just the antenna).
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

I have 4 dummy loads, the most used is one up to 3 GHz and 300 watts.
    Superfluous remark, but with the current level of new Ham's it might not be so superfluous anymore... ;)
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

"Or at least think first."

Brain and brain! What is BRAIN???
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Last hamfest I attended, I must have jusy missed them all. Every table that looked interesting, I inquired about a dummy load and the answer from everyone was, "You just missed it. I just sold it." Somewhere that day, a lone ham was totin' home all the DLs. Either that or there was an inside joke going on that I was clueless to.
    Ebay is my next area to look but they must show up in waves. Either they're there or they're not but either way I'm getting outbid on the ones I suspect are functioning. The ones I've shy'd away from don't get much attention. Mainly, if it's too good to be true then it must be.
    I remember articles as a child about building DLs. I got a couple of old paint cans. What else do I need?

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Last hamfest I attended, I must have jusy missed them all. Every table that looked interesting, I inquired about a dummy load and the answer from everyone was, "You just missed it. I just sold it." Somewhere that day, a lone ham was totin' home all the DLs. Either that or there was an inside joke going on that I was clueless to.
    Ebay is my next area to look but they must show up in waves. Either there or they're not but either way I'm getting outbid on the ones I suspect are functioning. The ones I've shy'd away from don't get much attention. Mainly, if it's too good to be true then it must be.
    I remember articles as a child about building DLs. I got a couple of old paint cans. What else do I need?
    Hunt around. I picked my up from a local club's swapsheet. For $5. My first (And only so far) Heathkit :)
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Ebay is my next area to look but they must show up in waves. Either they're there or they're not but either way I'm getting outbid on the ones I suspect are functioning. The ones I've shy'd away from don't get much attention. Mainly, if it's too good to be true then it must be.
    Mendelsson's had a bunch of solid state medium power (up to 300 W) DL's in their tent at Dayton. I think the cost was about $25 each.

I almost bought one... certainly would take up less space than the Cantenna, and I could mount it out of sight, but just saw no point to it at present. Now next year, if I have a little more shekels to spend...
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

What else do I need?
    For the paint can variety, some 50 0hm resistors of the "big honkin'" variety, an SO-239 and about a gallon of transformer oil.

Some buddies made one of those out of a 20 gallon (?) drum once many years ago. Not sure how much it could handle, but RG-8 would get soft and spongy before you could detect the drum getting warm.

Quote Originally Posted by kf0rt View Post
    For the paint can variety, some 50 0hm resistors of the "big honkin'" variety, an SO-239 and about a gallon of transformer oil.

Some buddies made one of those out of a 20 gallon (?) drum once many years ago. Not sure how much it could handle, but RG-8 would get soft and spongy before you could detect the drum getting warm.
    I recall a guy on QRZ classifieds selling those resistors (or some such similar) for 10 bucks a pop and said he'd be at Dayton.
    I'll keep looking.

Undisclosed solar powered burrow in Southern Maryland
    I got 3 of the 300w air cooled ones on a package deal for like 30 bucks and keep one them on a port of my antenna switch. Can swap over to DL straight from the transceiver with a snap of the switch. And I do have a MFJ bucket-o-oil too. If I have to do repeated testing.but yeah, I agree...dummy loads are cheap and your friend.
    Yeah...I'm a furry...Deal with it!