Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: They All Sound About The Same

They All Sound About The Same

Last night while listening to 75m, I heard some OT's with some mid to high end radios. Mainly an Icom IC-756 with an iCM mic for Icom and an FT-9000 with I believe what was a PR-20. They didn't sound all that special on the air. Matter of fact, they sounded average with the 756 op having a slightly better tone.
    Then a guy chimed in with a TS-2000 and it wasn't set up for ragchew and it sounded like crap. Didn't catch the mic. All were talking smack about the TS-570 and I know those can sound pretty sweet with the right setting and mic and nothing else.

Seriously, without having to do too much more than a hundred dollar mic, get on the air with a used TT and you will blow those $10K radios away. I have heard Art Bell's ESSB on the air. I'm not talking about using a soundboard and filter widths beyond 2.4 to 2.8. I hope the OT's really bought their rigs for superb receive and stuff. I think that out of that group last night, the guy on the 756 probably got the most bang for the buck while they were talking about audio.

To bad there were not any TT rigs on with them. :)

Cubic Astro 103 (w/ stock 2.7KHz B/W SSB TX filter) - $400
    Cubic PSU-6A power supply - $125
    Cubic 1500ZA 'Dayton Special' amp - $300
    Cubic ST-2B 2kW tuner - $225
    Shure 444 hi-Z mic - $60

Receiving many unsolicited reports which state that your audio is 'ESSB quality' and isn't splattering - priceless.

I've also done this with a Kenwood '940, TX/RX-chain SSB filters from a '930 (2.7 KHz B/W) and an MC-85.

You heard that rig on 40M last night. Describe the audio to us.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

You heard that rig on 40M last night. Describe the audio to us.
    On that rig even with noise and crashes and fading, you sound like a god! Deep lows that do not boom and articulated consonants with perfect vowels.

There was no noise here on 75 when the OT's were on.

Orca Whisperer
    AUDIOOOOO!!!! AAAAAAAAAAUUUUUDIOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

lol

How was their swing? Did any of them mention that lol
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    AUDIOOOOO!!!! AAAAAAAAAAUUUUUDIOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

lol

How was their swing? Did any of them mention that lol
    That's an AM guys thing.

YES IT IS!

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    On that rig even with noise and crashes and fading, you sound like a god! Deep lows that do not boom and articulated consonants with perfect vowels.

There was no noise here on 75 when the OT's were on.
    A good used '940 can be picked up for $700-800 and the TX filter can be scavenged from a number of places. I think it's still available from Kenwood; new price of $75-115. Figure another $100 (max) for an MC-85 and there ya go...
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Amazing how good SSB can sound.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Forum Addict
    My 570 sounded just as good or better that alot of em. No outboard box, No other crapola. It's sideband. If you want an FM sound. Go work at an FM station. If you tranmitt wider than 2.8 you wasting your time, and pissing off anyone near you. Theres a bunch down on 3.636 They call thereselves the wideband boys. Good place for them, And there not bothering anyone. Also the wide deep crap only works close in. On 75 or 160 you get out 1500 miles. You can't hear em. All you hear are mumbles.

You want to hear good SSB? Find someone with a properly working phasing sideband rig, such as an HT-37.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    You want to hear good SSB? Find someone with a properly working phasing sideband rig, such as an HT-37.
    One guy whom I worked on 20 with the Cubic stuff was running a -37 and favorably compared my audio with his.

Problems arise when the hi-fi crowd starts extending their TX passband below 150hz and above 3khz.