Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Current rant about the computer biz....

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar

Current rant about the computer biz....

It's how companies seem to flip off customers who upgrade.

Specifically, I've got a Microtek 6800 Scanmaker scanner. It's a wonderful scanner, and especially so because it can do medium format (6x6, 6x7, 120 film) transparency or negative scanning.

But those @#$$^$@# jerks! They list no f'ing driver for Vista on their website!!!

I emailed them from their support page and fully expect a reply to the effect of,

"There is no driver available." But, I'll be patient -- maybe there IS one, or at least they plan on releasing one. But grrrrr......

(Not all is lost, I can use my old computer for scanning.)

At least HP had a substitute driver for my printer, so they're a little bit on the ball.

RANTRANTRANT!!!!
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Try using Linux and see how disheartening it is to see a nice piece of hardware out there that can do exactly what you want the way you want it and then discover that there is no Linux drivers available. Fortunately this is not as much of a problem as it used to be. Many companies are now supporting Linux and there are lots of third party drivers out there as well. But Vista ? It's strange that they wouldn't support Vista. Usually Microsoft is the first and formost system they support. Strange indeed.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Uh-huh.

But you've given me an idea, I didn't think to check for a Linux driver. I'm off to do that right now. Thanks, John!

From Hamrick Software:

You can use this scanner on Mac OS X and Linux without installing any other software.
    http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/micro...aker_6800.html

Can't wait to check this out when I get home...but if that guy knows what he's talking about, I'm home free on this.

Thanks again, John, for the reminder.

Undisclosed solar powered burrow in Southern Maryland
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    Try using Linux and see how disheartening it is to see a nice piece of hardware out there that can do exactly what you want the way you want it and then discover that there is no Linux drivers available. Fortunately this is not as much of a problem as it used to be. Many companies are now supporting Linux and there are lots of third party drivers out there as well. But Vista ? It's strange that they wouldn't support Vista. Usually Microsoft is the first and formost system they support. Strange indeed.
    Oh...So Linux/Unix is all dat till you need a driver? Hmm... So its teh bomb unless you need something like...i dunno...a peripheral then you are S.O.L. or code your own driver. Which obviously the average home user does for $hits and giggles.

<insert gratuitous PEH sound here>
    Yeah...I'm a furry...Deal with it!

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by w3bny View Post
    Oh...So Linux/Unix is all dat till you need a driver? Hmm... So its teh bomb unless you need something like...i dunno...a peripheral then you are S.O.L. or code your own driver. Which obviously the average home user does for $hits and giggles.

<insert gratuitous PEH sound here>
    Thats only for ass-backwards companies who re-invent everything. In the past 4 years or so, I'm hard pressed to NOT be able to find a hardware driver. Then again, I'm not using "teh latest and greatest" in hardware, either.

Just like your common computer user :)
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

ass-backwards companies who re-invent everything
    That's Sony! Evil evil Sony ...

Well, no dice on linux and the Microtek. Guess what hamrick meant was if I bought their software it'd work. Well, maybe, but I'm not about to pay for a driver unless absolutely necessary. Besides, hamrick didn't make any distinctions between the various flavors of linux or Macs, and I didn't have the stomach last night to toil through the free trial download and install, only to find out (well, not sure about this, but....) that it wouldn't work either. Looks like the old machine's gonna be my scanning engine!

Orca Whisperer
    I don't have much faith in a company where this site:
    http://support.microtek.com/static/sm6800_specs.html

Is full of broken images on Firefox.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    I don't have much faith in a company where this site:
    http://support.microtek.com/static/sm6800_specs.html

Is full of broken images on Firefox.
    Looks like a case of the owners/managers got the site up and running then fired the staff after locking them out of the system.