Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Current rant about the computer biz....

Honorary Old Fart
    Dirty Old Mans club Junior Auxillary
    (Dirty Old Man in waiting)
    Get off My Lawn.
    ===========================
    4 out of 5 Seniors Prefer the taste
    of Alpo over other leading National Brands

Quote Originally Posted by w3bny View Post
    Oh...So Linux/Unix is all dat till you need a driver? Hmm... So its teh bomb unless you need something like...i dunno...a peripheral then you are S.O.L. or code your own driver. Which obviously the average home user does for $hits and giggles.

<insert gratuitous PEH sound here>
    But at the same time its rarely a problem. I've been using Linux since 1994 and even back then, when it was virtually unheard of except for us extreme geeks, I never had a problem finding some kind of driver to run whatever I wanted. If it was not created and issued by the company who makes the hardware then it was created and issued by a third party ranging from a company sanctioned to write the driver based on spec given by the manufacturer, to dfrivers written by individuals who reversed engineered and hacked one together.

Matter of fact I often have LESS trouble getting my hardware to work on Linux,. Most of the time the hardware is immediately recognized and appropriate drivers and firmware is installed on the fly and the hardware just works. Contrast that with Windows where the hardware often won;t work until I hunt for a legitimate site that has a driver available,

The few instances where there are problems can be disheartening. But its usually the kind of disheartening feeling that comes from wondering why a company can be so backwards and archaic that they won't supply drivers for Linux, Mac, etc. But, In general I'd say it's non-issue.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH View Post
    Well, no dice on linux and the Microtek. Guess what hamrick meant was if I bought their software it'd work. Well, maybe, but I'm not about to pay for a driver unless absolutely necessary. Besides, hamrick didn't make any distinctions between the various flavors of linux or Macs, and I didn't have the stomach last night to toil through the free trial download and install, only to find out (well, not sure about this, but....) that it wouldn't work either. Looks like the old machine's gonna be my scanning engine!
    You might find this site interesting...

http://lwn.net/Kernel/LDD3/

You can view/download the PDF files thus the book is basically free. A great way to learn about kernel and device drivers on Linux and a first step in learning to write your own. I might read it in my spare time. What I really need to learn are the internals of the kernel. With my knowledge of C and Assembly, I think I can hack it.

In any even it might be a worthwhile read, even if it doesn't solve your immediate problem...

P.S.. what is the exact model number of your scanner ?

Well, no dice on linux and the Microtek. Guess what hamrick meant was if I bought their software it'd work. Well, maybe, but I'm not about to pay for a driver unless absolutely necessary. Besides, hamrick didn't make any distinctions between the various flavors of linux or Macs, and I didn't have the stomach last night to toil through the free trial download and install, only to find out (well, not sure about this, but....) that it wouldn't work either. Looks like the old machine's gonna be my scanning engine!
    I would recommend trying the "trial version" of VueScan and see if it works. Otherwise I don't see much in the way of free + full featured drivers for that particular scanner.

You might be better served to buy a new scanner. There are plenty of moderately priced scanners available these days that have all the features you want and run on Windows XP, Vista, Mac, and Linux (Ubuntu, Fedora, Redhat, etc.) On Linux many scanners operate via the SANE (Scanner Access Now Easy) interface and plenty of full featured scanners are available that are compatible with SANE.

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    I would recommend trying the "trial version" of VueScan and see if it works. Otherwise I don't see much in the way of free + full featured drivers for that particular scanner.

You might be better served to buy a new scanner. There are plenty of moderately priced scanners available these days that have all the features you want and run on Windows XP, Vista, Mac, and Linux (Ubuntu, Fedora, Redhat, etc.) On Linux many scanners operate via the SANE (Scanner Access Now Easy) interface and plenty of full featured scanners are available that are compatible with SANE.
    You're right about replacing the scanner. They're not that expensive and the savings in time and hassels would be worth it. BUT...at least when I bought it (2003), that was the ONLY "consumer" scanner that could scan 120 film transparencies and negatives, the main reason I have a scanner. Grrrr!!!

I know better than to get very upset that Microtek seems to be flipping us off, but still,...wel, you know.

Besides all I reallly have to do is set up my old machine for scanning. Now that I've got a beautiful and big new monitor and a docking station for the laptop, the only "trouble", really, is making the room to set it up as a workstation.

Re....the book about drivers, etc. Sounds like something for after retirement!
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    But at the same time its rarely a problem. I've been using Linux since 1994 and even back then, when it was virtually unheard of except for us extreme geeks, I never had a problem finding some kind of driver to run whatever I wanted. If it was not created and issued by the company who makes the hardware then it was created and issued by a third party ranging from a company sanctioned to write the driver based on spec given by the manufacturer, to dfrivers written by individuals who reversed engineered and hacked one together.

Matter of fact I often have LESS trouble getting my hardware to work on Linux,. Most of the time the hardware is immediately recognized and appropriate drivers and firmware is installed on the fly and the hardware just works. Contrast that with Windows where the hardware often won;t work until I hunt for a legitimate site that has a driver available,

The few instances where there are problems can be disheartening. But its usually the kind of disheartening feeling that comes from wondering why a company can be so backwards and archaic that they won't supply drivers for Linux, Mac, etc. But, In general I'd say it's non-issue.
    As an often user of slightly unusual hardware (typically video processing stuff) Linux has been piss poor for drivers for that sort of stuff. Starting to get better.

But for building a server... Sure is nice to have networking and storage devicery operational out of the box, up to and including multi pathing storage systems.
    I've accidentally swallowed some Scrabble tiles. My next crap could spell disaster.

Specifically, I've got a Microtek 6800 Scanmaker scanner.
    from the manufacturer's knowledgebase. in short: use the winxp 32-bit driver and you should be good to go.

on a reviews website the first review i found for this scanner was dated 2003. that's pretty much why you're not finding vista drivers--the manufacturer didn't make them (and seems to be just barely interested in north american customers anymore).
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Microtek just answered my email and they say the XP driver will work with Vista and even Windows 7, and directs me to where I can down load it. Maybe I'm home free!

Microtek just answered my email and they say the XP driver will work with Vista and even Windows 7, and directs me to where I can down load it. Maybe I'm home free!
    just like i did a few hours ago :).

it's a shame they seem to have abandoned their NA market ... they made decent stuff at good prices.
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Yep, downloaded it last night & it works just fine. I take back any negative comments about them. It installed flawlessly.

it's a shame they seem to have abandoned their NA market ... they made decent stuff at good prices.
    Double

My 6800 has been superb, ditto the ScanWizard software. It IS a shame...glad I got what I did. The ONLY scanner I've found that will scan medium format film!

Thanks for the support, guys!