Thread: Microsoft "Silverlight"

Microsoft "Silverlight"

What's with this Microsoft "Silverlight" crap ? Apparently it's supposed to be a "Flash killer". But to date most sites are using Flash and even Microsoft is using Flash on some of it's Silverlight videos.

Apparently , and in their usual form, Microsoft didn't support Linux in their initial releases of Silverlight. However, with Microsofts blessing a third party has produced "Moonlight" which is supposedly a Linux/Firefox Silverlight plug in. Well, I installed it and for the most part it works but it still has some issues and is not fully compatible with Silverlight. Typical. In any event the upshot is that after scouring the web I could find next to nothing that uses Silverlight. Fortunately almost everybody is using Flash which unlike Microsoft Adobe supports on Linux.

So, is Silverlight yet another one of those "killer Microsoft apps" that has gone by the wayside ?
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Orca Whisperer
    The only saving grace Siverlight has going for it: Netflix uses it to stream movies. No, it still wont work trying to stream netflix to a linux machine yet.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    The only saving grace Siverlight has going for it: Netflix uses it to stream movies. No, it still wont work trying to stream netflix to a linux machine yet.
    In other words it's broken.

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    In other words it's broken.
    More or less. But,to it's defense, MPAA required some features available only via ActiveX to run.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    More or less. But,to it's defense, MPAA required some features available only via ActiveX to run.
    Typical of the archaic MPAA, They don't want their zoetropic images to fall into the wrong hands.

Silverlight is Microsoft's latest "Us Too" application.. The bastages in Redmond added that to my Visual Studio service pack, and then promptly added it everywhere on my system at work all without asking. Adobe is famous for the same kind of behavior.

Why does "Silverlight" remind me of Silverfish?
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati