Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are you using for portable HF ops?

What are you using for portable HF ops?

I've got a Superantennas MP-1 that I use if I need to make minimal impact on my operating environment. Normally a simple speaker wire dipole does the job though. I tried out a LMZ-50 UNUN and speaker wire antenna last weekend while camping and that seemed to work out OK as well. What's in your bag of tricks?
    I am surprised at such a sudden deterioration in a woman whose only ailment was a lazy anus.

I'm tempted to invest in one of these: http://www.parelectronics.com/end-fedz.php
    If I land a summer job would love a Buddipole. But ATM, a small dipole.

I have a friend who has one of those End Fedz. I used it a couple weeks ago to make some CW QSO's in the FLQP. It works great, but it's kind of spendy for what it is. You can only order them during certain 'windows' of opportunity to as the company making them concentrates on supplying the military. The next opportunity to purchase is the 21st of this month. I'd hold off though if I were you. I can't say more at this point due to a non-disclosure agreement I made.
    I am surprised at such a sudden deterioration in a woman whose only ailment was a lazy anus.

SK Member (12/2/2011)
    Icom 706MKIIG mobile setup and if I ever operate portable again it'll probably be a mil surplus PRC-47 on CW. It really will load just about anything for an antenna.

Rig in use here is an Icom 703+. I'm primarily a QRP guy and that internal antenna tuner really rocks.

Forum Addict
    A 706 and a small matchbox, And throw a 130ft doublet up in the trees. Oh and a marine battery.

IC-7000 and a Palstar AT1KM tuner that switches between an end-fed random wire and a 20 meter dipole.

Had an FT-897D, traded for a loaded FT-857D... prefer the button layout on the latter, and it has Inrad filters. I have also used the Ten Tec Omni D camping. It's voltage fussy, but works better in a multi-op setting, as it doesn't get swamped like the FT-857 does. I have a quantity of AGM deep discharge batteries, and take my MFJ-941D manual tuner along.

A few baluns, and a few dipoles. The 160 meter OCF with 300 ohm twinlead is a favorite, if I got the room. Ground rods, cable, lightning arrestors. Lots of slippery skinny rope, bungees and nylon pulleys. Tennis ball slingshot, and I have upgraded to an untried pneumatic antenna launcher kit.

Sometimes in the middle of nowhere, I really get into SWL'ing. You can hear the weak ones better.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Undisclosed solar powered burrow in Southern Maryland
    Lessee....

Got an MP-1...its ok...but considering selling it. (no emails! will let you all know when I make up my bunny mind!) A 12ft collapsible whip on a tripod, an 8'ft mil surplus break down whip for backpack and other lulzy things...dont ask..it was stupid. And a 100' 26ga dipole with either zipcord or 300ohm ladder line.

Everything except the MP-1 goes thru my SGC-211. how's that go? Oh yeah.. Fine bidness!
    Yeah...I'm a furry...Deal with it!

Portability is a must for this project.

de M0KCE.