Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Icom 706mkIIg separation kit extension.

Icom 706mkIIg separation kit extension.

It looks like you can extend the separation cable for the Icom IC-706MKIIG using a CAT5 Male to Male adapter and a terminated CAT5 cable.

Anyone have any experience on how long you can go with it and still have reliable operation? My unheated basement shack is great in the summer, but gets cold as a certain part of a witch in winter.

I want to keep my ground wires short and keep most of the RF outside of the house, and just remote the control head, speaker and mike upstairs in winter.

Don

Well, it's a serial signal. Run low loss twisted pair (good CAT5 or CAT6) and dropping the baud rate will help.

How long do you need to go? Hell, I'd just try it, run the cable temporarily on the floor to test.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

SK Member (12/2/2011)
    Nope, sure don't. 11 ft was more than I needed in my mobile operation, control head on dash of truck and radio behind seat. Don't think I ever heard of anyone trying longer runs?

It should be simple enough to just give it a try.

Do report back on the results.

Forum Addict
    A friend extended his. Living room sit, Radio in basement. I think twenty five feet. It gets rf in it on 20 meters with the amp on. Otherwise.. Totally fine. Talks on it everyday. The good cable ain't cheap though. Monster cable from tiger elec he used.

Quote Originally Posted by N9FE View Post
    A friend extended his. Living room sit, Radio in basement. I think twenty five feet. It gets rf in it on 20 meters with the amp on. Otherwise.. Totally fine. Talks on it everyday. The good cable ain't cheap though. Monster cable from tiger elec he used.
    One wonders if one of those K-Com (or similar) telephone filters could be adapted to this application and used to knock out the RFI along the control cable.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Orca Whisperer
    For a long run (Basement to above floor) make sure you use "Riser" CAT6 (Or 5). In both locations, terminate it to a wall plate, and use a patch cable from radio to wall; and then from wall to head.

CAT6 should reject RF pretty well. Especially the rise cable. Just don't use a really long patch cable (Over 25ft violates the CAT spec)
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

OT:

I went into my local Amateur Radio equipment out let and I just happened to glance at the price of the Icom 706MIIG and, it was up it $1,600 bucks! that was $650 more than I paid for mine from the same place!

OT: #2 It would be great if RCI made a extention cable for the RCI / Galaxy 29xx family of radios; I have even thought of getting a scrap radio and trying to make a extended head.

HRO has the MkIIG for $760...?

Quote Originally Posted by kf0rt View Post
    HRO has the MkIIG for $760...?
    HRO has it listed for $949.95 which, is what I paid for mine 3 years ago.

R and L has a $1,600 price tag on theirs.

Oops. I was looking at the 703.

Man, R&L sure fixed their web site so you can't find anything!