Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Yahoo IM worm that Morphs into Skype Malware (C-NET)

Exclamation New Yahoo IM worm that Morphs into Skype Malware (C-NET)

Got Skype or Yahoo IM? Then this is for you...

"On the heels of a worm that was installing backdoors on Windows systems via Yahoo Instant Messenger comes a new worm that is even more sophisticated in its social engineering and payload, security firm Bkis said on Friday.

The malware arrives via instant message through Yahoo or Skype with any one of a number of messages, including "Does my new hair style look good? bad? perfect?" or "My printer is about to be thrown through a window if this pic won't come out right. You see anything wrong with it?" Bkis wrote in a blog post.

The message includes a link to a Web page that looks like it leads to a JPEG, or image file. When the link is clicked on, the browser displays an interface that looks like the RapidShare Web hosting site and offers up a ZIP file for download. The extracted file is actually an executable file with a .com extension.

The malware, which Bkis has detected as "W32.Skyhoo.Worm," disappears if the computer does not have Skype or Yahoo Messenger installed. It automatically sends messages with varying content and malicious links to contacts in the victim's IM list and automatically injects a malicious link in e-mail messages and Word or Excel files that the user is composing, Bkis said.

The worm also connects to an IRC server to receive remote commands, blocks antivirus software, uses a rootkit technique to hide its files and processes and automatically copies itself onto USB drives to spread, according to Bkis."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20...ag=mncol;title
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

SK Member (Late April, 2019) W4RLR's Avatar
    Use Linux or Mac OS X and not have to worry about such merde.
    73 de Richard W4RLR
    Southern born,
    Southern bred, centrist conservative.
    Posting messages via HughesNet satellite internet.

Retired U.S. Air Force NCO
    Member, Sons of Confederate Veterans
    The Ancient Order of Turtles
    ARRL, SPAR, Six Meters Worldwide, Chattanooga ARC
    ARRL Accredited VE

Undisclosed solar powered burrow in Southern Maryland
    Quote Originally Posted by W4RLR View Post
    Why is that the standard answer for anything nowadays.... (Doc...I think I have cancer "Well if you used Linux or a mac I wouldnt have to cut your sack off ha-ha-ha )

Nothing about using a good AV or firewall, nothing about keeping it up to date. Nothing about taking the advice your parents told you years ago. DONT ACCEPT ANYTHING FROM STRANGERS. Just...

Quote Originally Posted by W4RLR View Post
    Wow...that was a lot of help. And what I have come to expect from the Linux/Mac cadre...aka...standard useless answer is standard and useless!

Hey John what time is it. "Well if you used Linux or Mac OS X you wouldnt have to worry about such things"...

PEH!
    Yeah...I'm a furry...Deal with it!

Ren,

Hate it all you want, but it's a valid answer. :-P
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

What...the answer to basic online security is get a frelling mac or run Linux? Remind me to call up the Security+ testing folks and tell them that everything can be solved by getting a fooking MAC and that there test is useless..

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by w3bny View Post
    What...the answer to basic online security is get a frelling mac or run Linux? Remind me to call up the Security+ testing folks and tell them that everything can be solved by getting a fooking MAC and that there test is useless..
    You wouldn't like their answer: You're right.

But, you wouldn't really make their test useless, configuration errors make secure systems prone to compromise.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

well when My wife and i took that test....the "get a mac" wasnt any answer. She's doing CISP now and that unfortunately isnt covered either.

Anyhow...Im starting to feel manic so enjoy your mac.

Orca Whisperer
    Because if the world ran macs (Or Linux) there would be a very low demand for Security Pros.

One reason why I stopped pushing Novell and Linux servers when I was working in a outsourced IT position: Windows servers and workstations need me to go out and fix them more.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    Because if the world ran macs (Or Linux) there would be a very low demand for Security Pros.

One reason why I stopped pushing Novell and Linux servers when I was working in a outsourced IT position: Windows servers and workstations need me to go out and fix them more.
    Follow the money. :muhahaha:
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.