Thread: virus, antispyware protection for ubuntu?

virus, antispyware protection for ubuntu?

being new to using linux dont shoot me if this a stupid question.
    is there anything available or necessary as i believe 95% of the spyware and viruses are setup for windows.
    if there is i would like to know so i can go ahead and load it up now.

thanks paul

a yankee living in the hind end of the bible belt
    some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Spyware and virus concerns are minimal in Linux. There are virus packages available, but they tend to be more for servers (file/mail/etc).

so when i go to ressurect my to old compaq servers with redhat that would be a prime time to add it?

some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Not really, typically virus scanner in Linux exist to protect Windows users who access the Linux server. E.g. I run a virus scanner on my mail server so we can determine if the e-mails have viruses so Windows users don't download them.

that is some great info to have. one of the servers i have will be used strictly for storage and the other i am not sure of. the one is a 4x 250mhz pentium pro machine and the other is a 4x 500 xeon. i was using one for a while for video survailance at the old qth but moving the extra hour away from the ex has pretty much eliminated the need for that. it would be nice to put the cameras up to catch the wildlife in the backyard.

Orca Whisperer
    I'm going to be the "bad netizen" here:

Don't worry about virus scanners for Linux, except for on your file server. Install ClamAV (With RHEL or Fedora, 'yum install clamav clamav-update', I think those are the package names).

Schedule a scan once a day (Midnight or so), and fire and forget.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com