Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Technical reasoning for AM vs any other mode?

Orca Whisperer

Technical reasoning for AM vs any other mode?

Other than the "sounding better" reason for using AM, are there any technical advantages to using it over, say SSB or digital voice?
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Antique modulation..:-P
    Though it can sound perfect with the right gear
    SSB is what i use and with correct settings of alc, good microphone, some equalizer settings ( EQplus here) it also can sound very good.
    For AM i use the FT 100 with AM 6 Kc Xfilter, 25 watt carrier and modulated to 100 watts it sounds very nice ( according to others) with the standard handmike.

Just whatever rocks your boat
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

I like AM, because done right, it sounds really good. However, SSB with my Kenwood TS-850 and DSP-100 set to wide transmit... "ESSB".

It sounds just as good, and is more efficient. I can pinch it down to 2.2 K wide with the DSP-100.

My Ten Tec Pegasus is even more versatile, but it's not quite as listenable as the TS-850 is on receive.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    Other than the "sounding better" reason for using AM, are there any technical advantages to using it over, say SSB or digital voice?
    SSB requires more complex equipment to demodulate and present the received signal - BFO, filtering and all that.

An AM transmission can be copied by a simple receiver - which may consist of just a tunable tank circuit, diode detector and headphones.

The advantage lies at the receiving - not the transmitting - end of the link.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    SSB requires more complex equipment to demodulate and present the received signal - BFO, filtering and all that.

An AM transmission can be copied by a simple receiver - which may consist of just a tunable tank circuit, diode detector and headphones.

The advantage lies at the receiving - not the transmitting - end of the link.
    That's pretty much the only one I could come up with, receivers are so easy to build. A coil, a sliver of graphite, a razor blade, and a crystal set headphone, and you got a AM receiver.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    That's pretty much the only one I could come up with, receivers are so easy to build. A coil, a sliver of graphite, a razor blade, and a crystal set headphone, and you got a AM receiver.
    In addition, both ends of an SSB link must be fairly stable in regards to drift. An AM link is more tolerant of a few hundred hertz of drift on either end. As long as the transmitted signal doesn't slip too far out of the receiver's passband, decent copy can still be maintained.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

SK Member (12/2/2011)
    In double blind testing of the ability of those in a test group to correctly copy a voice signal during conditions of fade, noise, etc., AM always wins over FM & SSB.

Forum Addict
    It's just another mode. AM is fun. So is ssb Cw psk fm . Whatever your into. USE !! the bands !

AM is more fun, especially when it's done with fire bottles, heavy metal and my favorite...
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

9 posts in and no bandwidth Nazis? :chin: