Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 'splain it to me, Lucy

Question 'splain it to me, Lucy

I posted this response recently and got to wondering how these situations occur.

Now, I know that for a lot of people, ham radio is a fairly low priority (it is for me as well), but I can never seem to fathom how it takes anyone so long to do WAS (or DXCC, for that matter).

Is it too little time to operate? Is it crappy antennas? Operating from an apartment (this one I can understand)? Not enough interest to put forward the effort? Never operating even one contest? What....?

You gots some 'splainin' to do.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Underneath the Atomic Ooze of Hanford, WA
    Funny you should mention that.

I was reading this Heathkit history book last night. The author had been a ham since the '70's and his bio stated "still didn't have WAS". I thought it might be a joke. Maybe not.

It's probably because these guys don't qsl. Anyone can work WAS on Field Day from anywhere in the country with a modest antenna and 100 watts. It really doesn't even take much operating skill. On CW, it's even easier.

Must be some kind of weird "look at me" thing for some guy to he doesn't have WAS after being a ham for like forever.
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q275/nx6d/ham%20radio/SANY1260.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by nx6d View Post
    It's probably because these guys don't qsl. Anyone can work WAS on Field Day from anywhere in the country with a modest antenna and 100 watts. It really doesn't even take much operating skill. On CW, it's even easier.
    The guys who don't even bother with QSLs, I don't bother to count. I'm talking about the people who claim that they've actually been working on WAS for over 10, 20, 30 years and still don't have it. WTF?

There are state QSO parties every year. Now, there are a few states that don't have them, but they usually show up in the regional QSO parties. The New England QSO party (Rhode Island, Maine, Connecticut, and Massachusetts) and the 7th Call Area QSO Party (Oregon, Utah, and Wyoming) are 2 examples.

I just don't get it. I worked 46 out of 50 states during the DE QSO party (one of the smallest QSO parties there is) in a weekend, using wire antennas and 100 watts on phone. The only states I missed were HI, AK, SD, and WY.

I still don't know how I missed SD and WY. Nobody was in those 2 states that weekend?
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

75m
    I've got Alabama!
    NC!
    And Mass of Two Shits.
    Oh and Colorado!
    20m Los Gatos CA via Los Cruces NM remote.
    While it sounds like a crude joke, it's true.
    I owe a pilot a QSL card.

SK Member (12/2/2011)
    I don't see how it would be possible for anyone really trying to attain the basic WAS to take very long in accomplishing that goal?

I'm in no hurry. No hurry what so ever.
    What would really be impressive is if I got WASOAVCW.
    That would be "Worked All States On A Very Crappy Wire."

According to his bio, "I enjoy HF DXing and contesting." so yeah, I really don't get how you can help NOT getting WAS unless he only works DX contests!
    Scott - NĜIU
    http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv124/scottaschultz/iub.jpg
    President - National Sarcasm Society
    "Like we need your support!"

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    75m
    I've got Alabama!
    NC!
    And Mass of Two Shits.
    Oh and Colorado!
    20m Los Gatos CA via Los Cruces NM remote.
    While it sounds like a crude joke, it's true.
    I owe a pilot a QSL card.
    Hey Hey we talked last year.. So you got the hick from the sticks too !

Quote Originally Posted by N9FE View Post
    Hey Hey we talked last year.. So you got the hick from the sticks too !
    Are you the pilot who was in Charlotte?
    God I'm a moron! (that's "moran" in Tea Speak)

Forum Addict
    Nah You, Ryan and i got on 75 the winter before last. Then one other night i hooked up with you on 3.916 or something like that.