Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Toy!!!!

New Toy!!!!

http://swap.qth.com/view_ad.php?counter=819583

I made a deal for this station yesterday,and will send a check today.
    This will be my third Omni V.
    I think I'll do the Inrad 2.8 treatment on this one.
    If it's as clean as he says,it should be a nice one.
    The 238 tuner is excellent as well,I;m using one now.
    Mike
    Ummmm, no I'm not peeing in my gas tank :)

Re: New Toy!!!!

What's your opinion of the Paragon II, Mike - ever get to play with one of them?
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

John,
    I've never had a Paragon.When I saw the first ad for one in QST,I fell in love with the look.
    Then the Omni V was released,ham bands only,no synthesizer=no synthesizer noise!

I'm forced on 160,75,and 40 to use a NB because of oilfield telemetry,and the phase noise is a killer.
    I've heard many of them on the air,and they sound great,also most owners of the Paragon swear by them.
    Mike
    Ummmm, no I'm not peeing in my gas tank :)

SK Member (12/2/2011)

I've played with the Paragon II at TenTec and at the home of now SK W2IQ/Hank Clark of Dandridge,TN. Hank was a field tester for TenTec via his long frienship with K4FW/Al Kahn.

At the time I thought the Paragon II was a better rcvr than most of the Japanese rigs costing much more.

Quote Originally Posted by N4VGB
    I've played with the Paragon II at TenTec and at the home of now SK W2IQ/Hank Clark of Dandridge,TN. Hank was a field tester for TenTec via his long frienship with K4FW/Al Kahn.

At the time I thought the Paragon II was a better rcvr than most of the Japanese rigs costing much more.
    I've heard the synthesizers in the original Paragon were noisy and prone to failure...not so with the II. What (if anything) did you notice in the way of artifacting or phase noise, Mack?
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

SK Member (12/2/2011)

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX
    Quote Originally Posted by N4VGB

I've heard the synthesizers in the original Paragon were noisy and prone to failure...not so with the II. What (if anything) did you notice in the way of artifacting or phase noise, Mack?
    Oh the phase noise was there, but not as much as most Japanese rigs of the same time period. I recall Hank telling me he wasn't pleased with the first Paragons, but he liked his II FB.

Of course the difference would be obvious in a side by side test of the Paragons compared to the newer TenTecs using short PLL mixed with crystals.

Quote Originally Posted by W5IEI View Post
    http://swap.qth.com/view_ad.php?counter=819583

I made a deal for this station yesterday,and will send a check today.
    This will be my third Omni V.
    I think I'll do the Inrad 2.8 treatment on this one.
    If it's as clean as he says,it should be a nice one.
    The 238 tuner is excellent as well,I;m using one now.
    Mike
    Nice.

I traded by TS-480SAT for an Omni VI+. Rig came a week ago, but I only had time to get it all hooked up this weekend. It came equipped with a bunch of Inrad filters, boy, does it sound nice.

My poor Corsair is temporarily on the sidelines until I build a new shelf in the shack for the VI.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Scroll down to the lineage section. Interesting read overall for the TT noob.

http://home.comcast.net/~w8kc/lineage.htm

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Scroll down to the lineage section. Interesting read overall for the TT noob.

http://home.comcast.net/~w8kc/lineage.htm
    Who's a noob?

There's a whole Wiki on Ten-Tec, although I don't have the link here at work. And I know there was a Virtual Ten-Tec museum online, but the owner of it became a SK a few years back & I don't know if the site is still active.

When I worked at the (now defunct) Westech Electronics, we sold a lot of Ten-Tec gear. I never cared for the Argonaut 509 or 515, but then I thought the Argosy & Argosy-D (aka Argosy II) was a better QRP rig, more versatile that the Argonauts. The rig I always wanted, though, was a Corsair. For the money, it outperformed the TS-930S where it counted, on the air, even though it didn't have all the bells and whistles.

Sadly, too many wanted the bells & whistles.

And when the Omni's replaced the Corsairs as the top of the line rigs, I really wanted one.

Today's shack now has a Corsair II, an Omni VI+, and a heavily butchered, er, modified PM-2B. (Yeah, yeah, I know, I know, I'll get some pictures taken!) Had a Triton IV for awhile, but had to sell that when I downsized the shack a few years ago after I lost my job *sigh*

Still hoping to get my hands on an Argosy one day, although you have to be careful, as the finals for that rig turned out to be made of Unobtanium. And a friend is considering disposing of his Argonaut V, so if he decides to do so and we can work something out...
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    Who's a noob?
    I am a noob to Ten Tec.
    That's who.